We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bear attacks?

ky.boy
Level Contributor
590 posts
Save Topic
bear attacks?

I just read in a november forum that a 72 year young lady was attacked by a bear, does anyone know the circumstances and if the lady was alright?

Delaware
Level Contributor
1,020 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: bear attacks?

If you're referring the the lady that was attacked by a bear last year, then I have a little info about it. The story went that the bear attacked her unprovoked on her front porch or thereabouts. She had three cubs, and in the end all four of the bears were euthanized.

I spoke to a local not too long ago who actually related a different story than the one originally published in articles at the time. She said that her husband had actually been putting food on their porch for the bears. The woman then was out with her dog and the bear came to get his daily snack and encountered the woman.

Not sure what the truth of the matter as far as that story goes, but, in general, bears don't attack unprovoked. Be smart. Keep your distance from them and for goodness sakes don't feed them and you ought to have no problems.

Cindy

Wish I was in...
Level Contributor
1,425 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: bear attacks?

I think by "attack" they mean she was slapped. I think all she got was a few scratches. I have heard several different stories about this, but my guess is that there was some sort of improper food disposal going on. They were either leaving it out for the bear or just not keeping their garbage from the bears correctly. Plus she was walking her dog and I'm sure the dog spooked the bear pretty good. That is why dogs are not allowed on the park trails. Its just asking for something bad to happen. The mama bear is always going to protect her cubs.

Gatlinburg
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg
Level Contributor
680 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: bear attacks?

The woman was walking her dog and decided to "protect it" from the bear and got swatted by the bear. She was not seriously injured.

We have seen bears even last week rooting through trash so be sure not to leave any outside while you are staying here. Just ask your hosts for advice on what to do with your trash.

Bears do not attack people "unprovoked". If you corner them, suprise them, or get between a mother and her cubs they can become aggresive.

One last note is that bears HATE dogs!!! The dog can take care of itself so do not get between a bear and a dog (DUH).

4. Re: bear attacks?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 September 2009, 17:17