We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Southern Illinois
Level Contributor
204 posts
1 review
Save Topic

This is my first post and I want to say that I love this forum. I check for news almost every day. It really helps me endure the wait between trips to our favorite (and only) vacation spot.

We leave for Gatlinburg June 23 for 7 nights. We're staying at Mountain Laurel Chalets' "Woodsong." We've made 9 or 10 trips to G'burg since 2002, usually one in June and again in October. We traveled there with our son last June for his wedding at Chapel at the Park--and it was gorgeous. This October, we'll celebrate our 30th anniversary in the 'burg.

Can anyone tell me a good place to stop along the Roaring Fork Motor Nature Trail with an easy walk to a waterfall? DH has bad knees and can't do a strenuous or long walk.

Thanks!

Chelsea, Alabama
Level Contributor
586 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Newbie

Welcome to the TA family MountainHugger!! If DH's knees are bad, there are so many great pull off places on the Roaring Fork Mtr trail. One of my favorites is on the back side. It'll be very apparent to you. You take a sharp right curve and then head down a little hill, when you level out you are crossing over a stream that is rushing down moss covered rocks. There's a pull off across the bridge to the right. If you follow the road another 25- 50 yds, there will be a cabin on your left. Go through the cabin past the smoke house to the stream. Just walking downstream along there is breathtaking.

Congrats on the son's wedding. Have a great trip!

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
765 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Newbie

Welcome to the forum- watch out as TA can become addicting!

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
40,420 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Newbie

One of the waterfalls that might be easiest for the DH is Cataract Falls near the Sugarlands Visitor Center.

The trail is only 0.1 miles long to the small but pretty waterfall.

There are also several "roadside" waterfalls along Little River Road, which won't require any hiking at all. Sadly, many of the really good falls do require hikes of over 2 miles roundtrip, mostly uphill in many cases too.

4. Re: Newbie

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2009, 06:17