We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

new lodging tax????

South Boston...
Level Contributor
855 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
new lodging tax????

hello,

have any of you got and email about a new lodging tax??? I am booked with sugar maple for july 8-14 and they just emailed me saying that the sevier county commissioner passed a lodging tax and that I will have to pay an additional $36.00 in tax for my stay...

what a bummer.....I thought the $1384.00 the we are paying for that week would be more than enough.... oh well what are you gonna do... just wondering if anyone else got this email.....

Delaware
Level Contributor
1,020 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: new lodging tax????

Kenny,

Yes, Sevier County has just added on a new lodging tax to all rentals after July 1st. (I think that's the date, but don't quote me on it.) It will not affect people who are booked in the city of Gatlinburg since they already had a higher tax rate than the rest of Sevier County. I'm not sure if the city of Pigeon Forge was already charging an increased rate or not.

Cindy

Mentioned in this post
Pigeon Forge
Pigeon Forge
Sevier County, TN
Oneonta, Alabama
Level Contributor
942 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: new lodging tax????

What's so bad is the tax increase is happening in the middle of the busiest season. That means I'm going to have to pay the increase for all the guests who were already booked for the REST of the year. You would think this would become effective January 1st instead of in the middle of a rental season. Several of us owners have lamented about the increase. Some chose to contact the guests and explain the situation and others have chosen to 'eat' the tax increase and pay it ourselves for all the bookings we have from July 1st on. It is increasing from 9.5% to 12.5% for areas outside of the city limits of Pigeon Forge. It was already 12.5% for Gatlinburg and I'm not sure if it is also increasing for lodging inside the city limits of Pigeon Forge. If an owner has alot of bookings, it could cost several hundreds of dollars.

Lisa

Mentioned in this post
Pigeon Forge
Pigeon Forge
Sevier County, TN
South Boston...
Level Contributor
855 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: new lodging tax????

you know in the whole picture its not really that much more.... I guess it could amount to alot for the companies who already have all these reservations and plan to "eat it", which by the way I think is a very nice thing to do.... but, either way someone has to pay and I guess we are at the mercy of the cabin rental co.

oh well.... its not going to bother me one way or the other I still plan on having a wonderful time in the mountains.... and let me see I think I have about 16 more days.....WOO HOO!!!!!!!!!!

Orlando, Fl
Level Contributor
188 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: new lodging tax????

Hi Kennylax,

Yes, we received the notice about the cabin we've reserved for Oct. in Sherwood Forest. The new tax adds $43.04 to our total. I'm a bit confused since I thought Sherwood Forest Resort was in the city of Gatlinburg, yet this tax is for Sevier County. Guess I'll just have to pass on those new hiking shoes this year, and we may have to skip eating out for one night, but we're still planning to be there!!

Mentioned in this post
Delaware
Level Contributor
1,020 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: new lodging tax????

Leafer,

I just looked up Sherwood Forest to see where it is located. The only one I could find is actually located 1.5 miles from Pigeon Forge not Gatlinburg. I hope I haven't just given you some bad news?

Cindy

Mentioned in this post
Pigeon Forge
Pigeon Forge
Sevier County, TN
Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
42,535 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: new lodging tax????

Tennessee has some of the highest lodging taxes of any where in the country.

Don't complain too much...here in Chattanooga, our lodging tax is over 15% (almost 18% actually). Now that's steep!!

Mentioned in this post
Tennessee
Tennessee
United States
New haven,IN
10 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: new lodging tax????

Yes, we are booked with Sugar Maple Cabins in August and we also got the tax increase. Almost $40.00! Why thats about a half a tank of gas! LOL Everything keeps going up, what can we do but accept it I guess. Have a great vacation. If you can let us know how you liked your cabin. We are staying in Baby Bears Cabin in Black Bear Ridge Resort in case you happen to see it .

Midway, Kentucky
Level Contributor
43 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: new lodging tax????

What can we do? Certainly not accept it. I suggest that you not stay there. Cancel the reservation. Find a place to stay where this tax increase doesn't apply. And give them your money.

Geesh, I'm tired of this can't do anything but accept it attitude. If you don't like the price, don't pay it. Gas too expensive? Don't travel. Don't like the time share pimps? Travel elsewhere.

There's nothing wrong with a little sacrifice.

But these crooks know we're too lazy and too selfish and too darned unwilling to deny ourselves to stand up to their constant effort to extort more and more of our hard earned cash.

Complaints on some TA message board don't mean squat. If you don't want to pay, don't make the trip. No one's gonna die by going a summer without a trip to some cabin in the Smokeys.

South Boston...
Level Contributor
855 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: new lodging tax????

well.....I certainly will not be cancelling my reservations..... I have about three hundred (non-refundable) dollars down on this cabin and a 10% increase on that deposit isn't going to kill me....

I've had these reservations for 7 months...

I think its a bummer, but..... I work too hard not to take some time to enjoy life,

and the cabin co. is not at fault.....they didn't pass the tax,

AND........... my post wasn't a complaint..... it was simply a question to see if others got the same kind of email......

South Boston...
Level Contributor
855 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: new lodging tax????

hello, INLunchlady,

I will check around and see if I can find out where black bear resort is..... maybe I'll talk to my TA friend smokiesgrl if I need to (she is very smokies smart!!!!)

baby bears cabin huh..... If I come across it I will let you know.....

we are staying in starrcrest resort.... and I'm not sure how close those two resorts will be .... this is our first trip to the smokies so I'm not sure where everything is yet......but we will see.....

I will be there 2 weeks from sunday.....<SMILE>.......

Kendra