We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

beautiful waterfalls

Jonesville, VA
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Topic
beautiful waterfalls

i have not been to any waterfalls since i was little and now my oldest son is 12 and we have not took him either we usually just the dollywood riding go carts thing and this time when we are there we will have alittle more time but we don't want to take all day seeing a water fall so where is one that has a short distance to and a short distance to drive from gat and pg but is very beautiful but i'm sure they all are but i wouldn't know since its been about 20 years we go there every year jsut seem to don't do the site seeing thing

Asheboro, N.C.
Level Contributor
1,962 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: beautiful waterfalls

Roaring Fork Motor Trail. You can hike to Grotto Falls or just see the small ones by the road side. I suggest you take the short hike to Grotto Falls. To get to Roaring Fork go to stop light 8 in Pigeon Forge and take a left and just look for the signs to bear right. It is not very far at all. The trail itself is only 2.5 miles long . It is a really beautiful area you do not want to miss.

Mentioned in this post
Roaring Fork
Roaring Fork
1,270 Reviews
Great Smoky Mountains National Park, TN
Pigeon Forge
Pigeon Forge
Sevier County, TN
Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
42,634 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: beautiful waterfalls

The best waterfall in all the Smokies (if there's any water at all due to lack of rain) is Mingo Falls.

Mingo Falls is located near Cherokee, NC, just outside the national park boundary. You simply drive over Newfound Gap Road, and just after you pass the Oconoluftee Visitor Center, take the second road to your left (Big Cove Road).

Follow Big Cove Road 5.5 miles to the Mingo Falls campground. You'll see a parking lot for the hike to the falls. The hike is short (only about 0.2 miles), but does require the climbing of some terraced "steps" up the trail.

You'll be rewarded with an over-100-ft. waterfall when you arrive.

Mentioned in this post
Mingo Falls
Mingo Falls
882 Reviews
Cherokee, NC
Cherokee
Cherokee
North Carolina Mountains, NC
Newfound Gap Road
Newfound Gap Road
627 Reviews
Charleston, WV
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: beautiful waterfalls

How hard of a hike is it to get to Roaring Fork Motor Trail falls? Could someone in not so good shape make it?

Mentioned in this post
Roaring Fork
Roaring Fork
1,270 Reviews
Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
42,634 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: beautiful waterfalls

Grotto Falls is about the only one a "not in good shape" person might be able to do on the Roaring Fork.

Rainbow is pretty difficult and even Grotto is moderately hard for some folks.

DO NOT try any of these hikes in flip flops!!! I can't tell you how many idiots try these mountain hikes in those things!!

Mentioned in this post
Roaring Fork
Roaring Fork
1,270 Reviews
Rincon Georgia
Level Contributor
830 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: beautiful waterfalls

Laurel Falls is ok for a person not in such good shape. We went 2 years ago and I was really not in good shape. It took us a while because I had to stop and rest, but the falls were worth it. Just take it slow and you should be ok.

Mentioned in this post
Laurel Falls
Laurel Falls
1,155 Reviews
Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
42,634 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: beautiful waterfalls

Grotto Falls and Laurel Falls, except for a dirt vs paved trail, are about the same in distance and intensity.

Mentioned in this post
Laurel Falls
Laurel Falls
1,155 Reviews
Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
37 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: beautiful waterfalls

What about Ramsay Cascades? We enjoy hiking and are willing to hike a distance.

Eden, GA
Level Contributor
91 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: beautiful waterfalls

Gowron, I am so glad you posted this. I too am out of shape along with my hubby and inlaws...lol. I'd love to go hiking but I'm kind of like the lil engine that could, it's kind of rough going up that hill, ya know.

This info has been very helpful!

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
42,634 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: beautiful waterfalls

FLJulie,

Ramsey Cascades is not a hike for the "unseasoned" hiker. I believe its 8 miles and pretty streneuous.

Mentioned in this post
Ramsey Cascades
Ramsey Cascades
145 Reviews
michigan
Level Contributor
205 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: beautiful waterfalls

Ramsey Cascades IS 8miles and it IS strenuous, but it is such a beautiful and interesting hike, I think I took a roll of film on that hike alone. And what incredible falls! Definitely bring water and snacks(we had trail mix and jerky to snack on),we were really moving and it took 4 1/2 hrs.

Grotto Falls is my favorite for an easier hike, it was kind of neat to be able to walk behind the falls. Laurel falls had some nice views on the way up, but my DH is very disdainful of that one since it is paved he doesn't consider it a "real" trail :)

Mentioned in this post
Ramsey Cascades
Ramsey Cascades
145 Reviews