We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

if you had a choice.......

Which Gatlinburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
valparaiso, indiana
14 posts
Save Topic
if you had a choice.......

hi everyone!!

i have been to gatlinburg and the smokies several times now in the monthes of may and august. my boyfriend and i were wanting to arrange another trip when the leaves were changing but wanted to avoid to the month of october. (high prices, large crowds, etc) i would love to know if you had a choice would you choose to go the last week of september or the first week of november. i really am not sure about this one, and i know it may be hit or miss because of the drought. any input will be well appreciated. (also...i just became a member and i read the message boards almost every day before our last vacation in may. i just have to say i have found the best advice. thanks everyone!!)

Asheboro, N.C.
Level Contributor
1,962 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: if you had a choice.......

Welcome aboard the TA Express!!!!!

I really like going better the first week of November. One the crowds are gone and rates are down. Two the outlets have very good sales.

But... If your going for the leaves you might should go the last week of September. The change of leaves may come a little early this year since the weather has been so dry.

Richmond, Indiana
Level Contributor
179 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: if you had a choice.......

Myself, I would prefer to go the last week in September. The reason being that the weather would still be warm to be outside in the mountains and in town.

Grove City, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,519 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: if you had a choice.......

If you're going for the fall colors, the first week in November would be a better choice. There is often still plenty of color then, especially in the lower elevations. Even with the dry weather I think that your chances are for color are better then. We;ve been to the area at least a half a dozen times in October and later has always been better than earlier.

Gonzales, Louisiana
Level Contributor
624 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: if you had a choice.......

If you have to skip the last 2 weeks of October, i'd go with staying the first week of November. I've been in late September and it was pretty green. I've watched photos taken weekly for the past few years, and I really never see the colors changing in September. I stay in pretty cheap hotels, and really don't find it too expensive in late October and I don't see much of a problem with traffic- maybe because we are in the National park alot.

Gatlinburg...
Level Contributor
2,034 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: if you had a choice.......

FYI

I think the Christmas lights begin around the 7th.

Portsmouth, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,037 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: if you had a choice.......

My husband and I went in October a few years ago and it snowed

like a blizzard. We were not very happy about it. It was freezing cold

I guess that is unusual however I would not take a chance. Would

say September would be a better choice.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,524 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: if you had a choice.......

Snow in October is very rare; snow doesn't come until late December through February.

Blue

Gonzales, Louisiana
Level Contributor
624 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: if you had a choice.......

Past 2 years in a row, i've seen "snow" in October but it wasn't heavy and I absolutely loved it and was in heaven. No one will ever talk me out of my October vacations to the Smokies :)

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,524 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: if you had a choice.......

In the low elevations? I had the impression that there isn't any snow down there until mid-winter. I've never seen any in my October trips to Balsam Mountain (high elevation, actually) or Cosby. Not that stuck, anyway (it certainly was cold enough). I wouldn't let it stop a trip during that time, too.

Gonzales, Louisiana
Level Contributor
624 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: if you had a choice.......

No, not lower- at Clingman's Dome and a good bit of the drive up to Clingman's .....both year's it was late October. But it was nice and cold in the lower elevations as well.