We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fun ideas for 5 year old child

Which Gatlinburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Indiana
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
Fun ideas for 5 year old child

We are making a short trip and will have two full days to spend in Gatlinburg. I want to make it fun for our 5 year old daughter. What would be your top picks in Gatlinburg that we should take her? I'm thinking I'd like to take her to the Aquarium. Is it worth the cost? I'd also like to take her to play mini golf. Which is your favorite? Any other ideas? Thanks

Asheboro, N.C.
Level Contributor
1,962 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fun ideas for 5 year old child

Yes the Aquarium is worth the price it cost to go see it. Do try to take your daughter there. As far as the other Ripley's attractions, except for the Haunted Adventure, I would avoid them and save my money. Our favorite mini golf in Gatlinburg is Hill billy Golf. It is exciting to ride the short ride up the mountain on the incline ride. Then the golf course itself is fun to play as you work way back down the mountain. The Amaze in Mirror near stop light 8 is pretty cool. All of you would enjoy this. Go to www.discoverthesmokies.com for more info on these attractions.

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
39,451 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fun ideas for 5 year old child

I have to agree with going to the Aquarium and playing Hill-Billy golf.

If Hill-Billy golf is too much $$, try the Davey Crockett mini-golf near the entrance to town.

Indiana
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Fun ideas for 5 year old child

Thank you for your suggestions. I think we will definitely see the Aquarium and check out the golf places. The mirror place sounds interesting too.

Indiana
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Fun ideas for 5 year old child

Oh thank you for the website. It sounds like there is a lot of good info and it's not one that I had looked at yet. :)

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,409 posts
246 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fun ideas for 5 year old child

I think Misscrispy and Kat already talked you into it but yes, the aquarium is worth the $ for both your 5 year old and you. Based on my experience, if you can get there early you'll beat the crowds and enjoy it more.

We didn't mini-golf (which I love, just didn't do!) but there is so much to see just walking around. My kids are 12 and 10 but Gatlinburg is very similar to the Wisconsin Dells which is closer to us and my kids have been there many times, including when they were 5.

I think your 5 year old will have fun if you just spend some time walking the strip. We passed by at least 1 arcade-everybody loves Skee-ball! There is also a candy factory/store right next to the Pancake Pantry and my girls enjoyed watching the guy make taffy in the window. We did a lot of window shopping and browsing the t-shirt shops. We visitied Gatlinburg twice during our trip, spent a few hours there each time and didn't spend a ton of money. She'll have fun-so much to see, lots of crap (and I mean that it the best possible way-just lots of fun, sensory overload junk) that kids like to look at (and 38 year old mothers!!!:))

Roselle Park, New...
Level Contributor
2,354 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fun ideas for 5 year old child

My daughter loved mini golf and riding on the ski lift with her dad. She also enjoyed riding the go-karts in Pigeon Forge. Gem mining was another neat thing. Although it was too expensive to get jewelry made, i got the $10 bucket for the kids to go through and it kept them busy for a while. I have always wanted to try Hillbilly Golf but never got around too it. We did do the aquarium but felt it was too expensive for the 5 of us, especially for just an hour of time which is how long it took to walk the whole thing. The only cool thing I enjoyed was the shark tunnel.

Roselle Park, New...
Level Contributor
2,354 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fun ideas for 5 year old child

Yes and the arcade my 2 daughters loved playing skeeball and other games.

Portsmouth, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,037 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fun ideas for 5 year old child

Mini Golf is a great idea. The best we have found are Davy Crockett

Golf in Gatlinburg and Hillbilly Golf also. The Aquarium is also

very enjoyable.

Indiana
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Fun ideas for 5 year old child

Thanks again for the suggestions. Where are the places where she could gem mine? That sounds like fun. Thanks

Roselle Park, New...
Level Contributor
2,354 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Fun ideas for 5 year old child

There is a gem mining place in pigeon Forge that I went to and another one in Gatlinburg which I have not tried.