We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The anti-Christus Gardens

Which Gatlinburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Midway, Kentucky
Level Contributor
43 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
The anti-Christus Gardens

Just finished the new review of Christus Gardens and was reminded to ask something. Who remembers an attraction from the late 60s that was (for lack of a better description) a visit to Hell? Who can tell me more? Seemed like a strange idea for a tourist attraction.

Grove City, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,541 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The anti-Christus Gardens

I remember the place that you are talking about. It seems to me that it was just as you said, a trip through hell. We never went, but the signs talked about seeing famous villians from history in torment. The one that sticks out in my mind was Pontius Pilate. I think that it was off of the Parkway, somewhere at the south end of town. I agree that it was a strange attraction. There was a lot of weird stuff in the area in the late sixties and early seventies.

I also remember a place that had live chickens that did tricks for money. They would walk tight ropes and push balls around. Crazy stuff like that. We did go in there. It seems like the place was always pretty full. Could you imagine what PETA would do to a joint like that today?

Opelika, Alabama
Level Contributor
76 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The anti-Christus Gardens

I remember this place!! I had completely forgotten about it until reading your post. It was called " Tour thru Hell" and was located at the south end of town where The Happy Hiker (think that is name of the store) is located, across from KFC. I'm sure there are several other attractions from yrs ago that have been long forgotten--

Greenfield, Indiana
13 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: The anti-Christus Gardens

Anybody remember "House Of The Seven Gables" and/or "Mysteries Of The Unexplained?"

Midway, Kentucky
Level Contributor
43 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The anti-Christus Gardens

Thank God. My Leon was beginning to think that the trip to Hell was some warped repressed memory from my teens.

Eden, GA
Level Contributor
91 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: The anti-Christus Gardens

Oh my gosh, I had forgotten all about the chicken attraction! I remember begging my dad for a chicken when we got home. I remember one playing basketball and even playing the piano (actually I think it just pecked the keys) but hey, it was cool when your a kid. Wow, thanks for that memory.

I don't remember the Trip to hell attraction, my parents were big into church and probably thought that would scare the bejesus out of us, but I do remember going to Christus Gardens and seeing the face of jesus' eyes following me around, I hid in the bathroom until we left.

Tidewater Va.
Level Contributor
64 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The anti-Christus Gardens

An old attraction , how about Homespun Valley on Airport Road.

sevier county
Level Contributor
61 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The anti-Christus Gardens

I remember the "Tour Thru Hell", but did you know it was owned by a preacher? He was one of those self-ordained type of guys. He also ran "Fort Apache", a western type of town in the middle of Pigeon Forge. This was in the summer of 1969.

Homespun Valley....sure I remember! The Town Criers performed there frequently. They were a very talented bunch of guys. When they weren't there, a local group played: Osie Ownby played banjo and the wonderful Smoky White played the fiddle! Wow, thanks for the memories.

Gatlinburg...
Level Contributor
2,034 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The anti-Christus Gardens

How about….

 The Little Brown Jug restaurant on the parkway?

 Dog n Suds Drive In on the parkway?

 The “Magic Carpet” ride up Airport Rd?

 “Zanadu” on the parkway?

 “Goldrush Junction” in PF before it was Silver Dollar City ?

 “Silver Dollar City” in PF before it was Dollywood ?

 “Al Hirts” restaurant on airport rd?

 The original “Pancake Pantry” opened in 1960.

 “Polly Bergens” dress shop at the intersection of the parkway and 321 (now the Carousel mall)

The only thing that really has not changed is the Park itself.

MI
Destination Expert
for Ludington
Level Contributor
1,152 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The anti-Christus Gardens

I got one! I got one! How about "Bunny Golf" on River Road!!!!!

USA
Level Contributor
2,214 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The anti-Christus Gardens

Am I the only one who remembers what happened to "Tour through Hell?"

It burned down.