We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beware Alpine Chalet rentals

Which Gatlinburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Eden, GA
Level Contributor
91 posts
Save Topic
Beware Alpine Chalet rentals

My other posts was about our vacation so ya'll bear with me about the chalet itself. We stayed with Alpine Chalets, our chalet was "The Sparrow's Nest".

I was very disappointed and embarrassed when we stepped into our chalet. I wanted this to be so special for my in-laws, they had never had a vacation their entire lives.

We had an extremely steep driveway, we never complained about this as me and my husband come almost every year, we've seen our share of these. It was a little scary when it rained but we tolerated that. We checked the hot tub on arrival, it was not working, I called the chalet company and explained to them that before we came or booked I stressed to them I needed a working hot tub. They told me they would send the repairman. We went in and discovered this place is really small. We had 11 people, we were crammed together. They did not even have a couch but 1 loveseat and 2 chairs in the living room/dining room. They ceiling was exposed in the bedroom on the bottom floor, the pillows looked like they were from WWII. The clubhouse in on the opposit mountain so we would have to drive through Gatlinburg to the other side of town to go swimming in the pool. This got me because I called them before we left and asked them and they told me it was within 1/4 mile. We never got to grill out because the lightbulbs were missing on the outside of the house. We would have bought some to put in but you had to have a ladder to reach them. There were spider webs everywhere and the place smelled like an ashtray after being told it was non smoking. We have to be extremely careful since my mom-in-law is on oxygen. On our 3rd day we are told that the circuit board for the hot tub is in but the owners don't want to spend the $500 for it so it may be another day or 2 before it's fixed, but they will refund us $10 a day. That was kind of crappy, but then we found the guestbooks...apparently the hot tub hasn't worked in 6-8 months, every single renter had complained. Seems like if the owners would take a little pride and keep the place up the renters would be happy too. As we checked out my husband which tried to explain to them what needs to be done before the next renters arrive, she kept telling him "alright, have a good day" just trying to get rid of us.

I can understand it being an older chalet but I did think it was unfair the way they treated us and lying to us about the place before we even arrived. I can't say that all of their places are in as bad a shape as this one but I know what we went through. We didn't let it spoil or vacation and the in-laws had a great time, because they knew no better.

Didn't mean to ramble, I'm letting off steam I guess....

Lorain, Ohio
Level Contributor
852 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beware Alpine Chalet rentals

WOW!!!

I would be very dissappointed in the company too!! I think its wonderful that you didn't let it stop you from having a good time... we have had that sort of thing happen before too and you just have to make the best of it.....

I feel like we were sooo lucky that we had a good experience with our cabin that we rented while we were there a couple of weeks ago, but you don't really know til you get there sometimes...

well I am glad you had a good time and that you didn't let that spoil your trip......

thanks for the report.......

Kendra

Toledo, Ohio
Level Contributor
253 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beware Alpine Chalet rentals

I can sympathize with you, our cabin last year had no hot water after the first day! There were 6 of us staying, and all had to take cold showers. The rental company coulda cared less, even hung up on my husband when he called to complain! On our last day they installed a new tank, but left the old tank in there next to it, didn't install the new tank properly as it flooded the laundry room floor. Every time I called them, they were rude as could be, even to let them know about the flood, so they could fix it before the next renters arrived. They never even apologized! NEVER! I wrote them two seperate letters when I returned home, plus sent 2 seperate faxes, all about a month apart, hoping for an apology....Nothing! Couldn't address the issue on their website because that part of the site wasn't working. Other than that the cabin was beautiful as well as the views and we had one of the best vacations ever. We also found the log book which had complaints of the hot water not working from more than a month before our visit. I hope our visit next month is as good, going w/ a different company of course, but now I'm worried.

Southern Illinois
Level Contributor
203 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Beware Alpine Chalet rentals

We have stayed with Mountain Laurel Chalets many times. (I've lost count.) They have always been responsive to any questions or concerns we've had. They also have no "hidden fees." Other than the addition of sales tax, the charges posted on their Web site are what you pay. The chalets are always very clean and well equipped.

On our most recent trip in late June, there were a couple of problems with our chalet. The propane tank for the grill was empty. I called Mountain Laurel and a Maintenance worker was there with a replacement tank within a couple of hours.

Also, there was a problem with the water (a City service). I made a call to Mountain Laurel and water was restored quickly.

I highly recommend this company and I would be very hesitant to rent from any other.

Salem, Virginia
Level Contributor
326 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beware Alpine Chalet rentals

I was wondering which company Dark kitten used so that I can avoid them. thanks

Toledo, Ohio
Level Contributor
253 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beware Alpine Chalet rentals

Lilac-

You don't have to worry, the company I was writing about got shut down within the last year by the IRS for tax evasion. I just recently learned this when I had emailed the cabin owner to find out which company she had managing her cabin, as it was no longer on the website. Maybe that had something to do with their horrible service and lack of concern!

6. Re: Beware Alpine Chalet rentals

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 April 2017, 19:00
Thibodaux, Louisiana
Level Contributor
280 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beware Alpine Chalet rentals

I have rented from Alpine Chalet Rentals before and never had any prolems. We arrived at our cabin and the hot tub wasn't working properly and a we called and a repairman was there before dark that afternoon. (we called around 4:00) I feel bad for some peoples post but I take them with a grain of salt. Some people blow stuff out of proportion. SAome folks can never be satified.

Thibodaux, Louisiana
Level Contributor
280 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beware Alpine Chalet rentals

I just looked at the above mentioned cabins and the look like wrecks on the website. They look like 60's and 70's built cabins. For the price I would have found something alot newer

Mississippi
Level Contributor
193 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Beware Alpine Chalet rentals

Oh great. We have that chalet rented for 10 days in June. I hope the hot tub is fixed by then and they can get some light bulbs! How is the loft area? Is it an enclosed bedroom or open to the main floor?

Leigh

Mississippi
Level Contributor
193 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Beware Alpine Chalet rentals

Kjun_mtn_lover - This is our 5th year renting from Alpine and haven't had any other problems either except our last chalet needing a little more cleaning. The chalets we've rented have fantastic views. We'll be in Sparrow's Nest this summer and I really hope the things are fixed that the OP talked about.