We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking in the Smoky Mountains

Which Gatlinburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Addison, IL
4 posts
Save Topic
Hiking in the Smoky Mountains

There doesn't seem to be a lot of posts on this forum about the hiking in the Smoky Mountains. What is your favorite hike that you've done?

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
39,133 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiking in the Smoky Mountains

Try the forum listed under Great Smoky Moutains, as there's a few hiking posts there.

Alum Cave is one of my favorites as is Abrams Falls. I don't really do any that are much more than 5 miles round trip.

This time of year, I'd love to hike in the higher elevations. The Andrews Bald hike is one I'd recommend in the summer as it's so much cooler up there.

Addison, IL
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiking in the Smoky Mountains

Hey - thanks Kat. Go Cubs!

michigan
Level Contributor
201 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hiking in the Smoky Mountains

We loved the Chimney Tops trail. Ramsey Cascades was a really cool trail if you don't mind hiking 8miles roundtrip. Less strenuous hikes that I've liked would be Grotto Falls. Looking forward to checking out Alum Cave next time!

Wish I was in...
Level Contributor
1,425 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hiking in the Smoky Mountains

My favorites are Abrams Falls, Rainbow Falls, Grotto Falls, and Laurel Falls.

Rainbow Falls is my favorite. I loved this hike. It is in the shade almost the entire way and the falls are beautiful and HUGE! The best hike we have done to date.

Ramsey Cascades is a nice one, but it is very long. The cascades are very pretty and there are lots of red squirrels at the cascades that try and steal your food...really funny.

Alum Cave is nice, but the Smokies look very different from up there. Once you get near the bluff, it looks a little bit like a desert.

Spruce Flats Falls is a lesser known hike. It is near the Institute at Tremont. It is a very beautiful waterfall with a fairly short hike.

My LEAST favorite is Chimney Tops. That was the hardest hike I have ever done. It is straight up almost the whole hike. Then when you get to the top, there is a difficult steep rock climb to get to the very top. I am scared of heights, so I didn't make it all the way up the final rock climb. It looked really dangerous. We usually hike several 5 to 8 mile round trip hikes every trip so I am not new to hiking, but this one kicked my butt!

Wheaton
Level Contributor
48 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hiking in the Smoky Mountains

Before you do any of the waterfalls check and see how tey are. There has been a draught,(although it was really raining this pst week while we were there). the rangers told us Rainbow Falls was down to a trickle.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,524 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hiking in the Smoky Mountains

As Kat said, the Gatlinburg forum isn't the place for hiking threads. Officially, all of the threads about the park are supposed to be in the Great Smoky Mountains forum. However, the park is a main attraction for people visiting Gatlinburg, so there's quite a bit of threads about the park in both this forum and in Pigeon Forge.

My favorite short hike is that to Hen Wallow Falls in Cosby. The trail passes a classic stream with moss covered boulders and light streaming in between the branches, then continues through a unique swampy, thick underbrush area unlike any other place I've seen in the Smokies. The falls themselves are thin but high, and are really nice to just sit back.

Kristian

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,524 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hiking in the Smoky Mountains

As for my favorite trail of all, it's a tough call. This trip report of mine answers the questions well:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g143031-i2563-k829…

8. Re: Hiking in the Smoky Mountains

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 September 2009, 02:17
Get answers to your questions about Gatlinburg