We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tunnels & Car Horns??

sevier county
Level Contributor
61 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Tunnels & Car Horns??

Being a "local", this is something that I have often wondered about and since my hubby & I took a day trip to Cherokee this past weekend, I noticed it happened at every tunnel.

So the big question I have is........

Why do you blow your horn in the tunnels??????

Does it have some sort of significance??? I've noticed that locals do not do this so there must be something I'm missing. Any ideas??

Thanks!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,734 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Tunnels & Car Horns??

It's fun! I don't think there is any significance to it. The horns sound better in the tunnel LOL. It's fun to get others going as well. It's kind of like people who blow their horns when they cross the state line, or stick their arms out their windows at the state line.

Sheridan, Indiana
Level Contributor
191 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tunnels & Car Horns??

I'm a HONKER too! I can remember being a kid and my parents did this. I carried on the tradition. Whether I'm in the Smokies or up here in the flatlands, I honk. HONK HONK HONK!!! LOL

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
2,456 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tunnels & Car Horns??

Yep, just good clean fun for us. We are one of those state line horn blowers too. LOL

B

Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
860 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tunnels & Car Horns??

It's good luck or so I hear.

Illinois
Level Contributor
942 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Tunnels & Car Horns??

I have no idea...we just do it cause everyone else does !!

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
2,456 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tunnels & Car Horns??

So funny to think of the non-honkers that will become honkers after reading these post. Honk if you love the smoky mountains!!!!!

B

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
41,432 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tunnels & Car Horns??

I think this goes way, way back to many years ago and I've also heard it's good luck.

Does seem like lots of folks driving through the tunnels in GSMNP do honk a lot of horns.

Chelsea, Alabama
Level Contributor
587 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tunnels & Car Horns??

Blowing your horn in a tunnel is tradition....it's kinda like saying "howdy" to the cars around you without stopping!! BSmith, gotta get you started playing "Sweet Home Alabama" when you cross the state line for Alabama and maybe even "Rocky Top" for Tennessee!!

Illinois
Level Contributor
942 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Tunnels & Car Horns??

BEEEEEEEEEEP!!! ( I'm honking cause I love the Smoky Mountains ) :-)

Rincon Georgia
Level Contributor
830 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tunnels & Car Horns??

The horn just sounds better in a tunnel. And my kids love it!!!