We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TA Peak Picnic

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,734 posts
Save Topic
TA Peak Picnic

It's getting close! 62 days and counting down! I can hardly believe it. Time to start making plans. Here are the details so far.

Saturday, October 27th

Mynatt Park Shelter in Gatlinbug on Historic Nature Trail/Airport Rd

Pavillion reserved from 10am to 8pm. I reserved it all day so we wouldn't feel rushed.

What we need to do:

Set a general time to start the picnic.

Get an updated head count for who is coming and how many are coming with you.

Decide what to eat and who wants to bring what.

Plan some fun stuff.

Yak, lol, yak, lol, yak, lol....Okay - yakking and laughing are a given, we don't need to plan those!

Anyone have ideas?

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
2,456 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: TA Peak Picnic

Good Morning Heidi,

Smith Family- 10, yep...10 of us. Ages 50(ahhhhhh) to 4 years old.

Comments and Thoughts: I like the Pot Luck Picnic idea we talked about months ago. If we have 10 sandwiches and 200 bags of potato chips... I don't care but I bet since we have such a wonderful way of communication on this forum we can get it a little more organized. Let's keep it simple and fun so we will have time to visit. Remember we will be on vacation too....

I think everyone should bring their own drinks/coolers with ice and then we can concentrate on the food end of it.

We need name tags... someone could be in charge of making them that day with out TA forum names and real names. Our families could have their names on the name tag with the TA forum member's name under it so we can fiqure out who belongs to who.

Check out Mynatt Park on discoverthesmokies.com and you will see that there are lots of places for the children to play. Bring sports equipment and fishing tackle to keep the kiddies busy while we chatter away.

Bring your TV if there is a football game televised locally you just can't miss. Alabama is off that weekend(I already checked) so no worry from this Bama fan (Rolllll Tide!) I just gotta worry about the Tennessee/Alabama game from the weekend prior to the picnic and hope I won't hear "Rocky Top" playing over and over again in my head.

They have grills if we we wanna do something easy like sausage or hotdogs.

We could roast marshmellows and have smors. Yum!!

Orlando, Fl
Level Contributor
188 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: TA Peak Picnic

Hello ladies,

I would love to be in charge of the name tags. I will design and make them up before I leave home, then will write names, or each person can fill theirs out when they check in--do we need a card table or such as a check-in center?

I like Betty's suggestions about the drinks. As far as food, maybe have everyone who's coming tell what they would like to contribute, or just have everyone bring what they would like to eat and perhaps an extra dessert or snack type food for all to share.

There will be 8, possibly 10 in our group--2 teenagers who are great at sports.

See everyone soon--Sandy (Leafer)

Bay City, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,263 posts
1,282 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: TA Peak Picnic

Can't you re=schedule this for September 16 or so? LOL. What a great idea, unfortunately, I (fairly new to this forum) won't be there at that time, but it is a wonderful idea. Have fun!!

Hokes Bluff, AL
Level Contributor
145 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: TA Peak Picnic

We will be there. Only me and the wife. Looking forward to being there. Not sure what to bring yet. Maybe when it gets closer we can decide what to bring. Never been there this time of the year, will the weather be a factor?

Louisiana
Level Contributor
581 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: TA Peak Picnic

Yikes! I hope I am not the only LSU Tiger there! If anyone has a game that is televised, it is fun to go to the Gondolier and eat and enjoy the game, along with every one else. It gets really "spirited". The television/rooting section is to the right when you go in--not the regular dining area. CAN'T WAIT!!!!!! Looking forward to the numbers growing when everyone signs up. There will be 2 of us--at least at this count! I will bring anything .......

Carol

GEAUX TIGERS!!!!!!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,734 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: TA Peak Picnic

It's sounding great. Glad you are going to be there blcal. Sandy I bet you have great ideas already for those name tags and Tymetravelor - plan for next year!

Misscrispy has an idea for a get to know you kind of game.

Does anyone think it would be fun for the posters to try and guess who each other is? I don't know how we would do that exactly, but it might be fun.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,734 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: TA Peak Picnic

iluvgburg - I missed you in my post! Glad your coming!!

Asheboro, N.C.
Level Contributor
1,962 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: TA Peak Picnic

If all goes well there should 2 adults, 2 teenagers and 1 four legged baby in my group.

When we have our school family picnics everyone brings food for their own family and then we set up a desert table. Then we all try each others deserts.

Just a thought...

I am cool with anything.

Florida
Level Contributor
795 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: TA Peak Picnic

Dang....I wish i could come but i don't think i'm gonna make it. I was seriously thinking about taking the kids out of school for a few days but there it too much going on. My son has a football picnic on the 27th AND Florida is playing Georgia...big game.....don't want to miss it!! Maybe i'll make the one next year!!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,734 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: TA Peak Picnic

Here are pictures of the park with our dancing Nurse Betty:

accommodationsinthesmokeys.com/_parks/mynatt…