We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Opinions about Christmas Decorations

Which Gatlinburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Oneonta, Alabama
Level Contributor
942 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Opinions about Christmas Decorations

Of those of you who go to the mountains during November and December and stay in a cabin or chalet, how many of you would like it to be decorated for the holidays during your stay? How soon is too soon to decorate? If you are going for Thanksgiving, is it okay for a Christmas tree to already be up or is that too soon? Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Lisa

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,603 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Opinions about Christmas Decorations

WE have been in nov,dec,and january, i am one of those purists who hates to see decorations for one holiday up before the other is over. I would not want a christmas tree in my cabin if i was there for thanksgiving (which i will be this year, yay!!). Just my opinion

Cottage Hills...
Level Contributor
547 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Opinions about Christmas Decorations

db: First of all, please allow me to say that I am a Christmas person. When September arrives, I am ready for the season to begin. Already, there are Christmas trees and decorations at the various department stores here.

In GB, the season begins when the lights are installed, and I think that is on Nov. 7th.

We always enjoy the scenery, and the spirit of Christmas while visiting there at that time.

As far as the chalet/cabin deco., I guess it is up to the owners or management of that particular unit. So, maybe they should decorate in accordance with the parkway lighting display.

That's what I think......

Cottage Hills...
Level Contributor
547 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Opinions about Christmas Decorations

db: First of all, please allow me to say that I am a Christmas Person. When the calendar says September, I am ready for the season to begin. Already, we have Christmas displays here in the Dept. Stores.

I think that the lighting display in GB begins on Nov. 7th. That is the signal for " let the celebration begin."

Whether the owners/managers of the chalet/cabins want to coincide the lighting displays on the parkway with their decorations of their units is, I would suppose, up to those folks.

Lets see if we can encourage them to do so.

Well....that is what I think....

Cottage Hills...
Level Contributor
547 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Opinions about Christmas Decorations

Sorry for the double post, but I had an error indication....

Bowling Green...
Level Contributor
1,394 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Opinions about Christmas Decorations

I know a lot of people who put up their trees before Thanksgiving.

But, personally I like to wait until after that holiday is over with.

But, I know that owners are not always in easy proximity to their rental properties, so then it might make more sense to do it earlier.

It is a tremendous amount of work to decorate for the Christmas Holiday. So, whatever works best for you is what you should do.

Glen Carbon IL
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Opinions about Christmas Decorations

I always put my tree up the day after Thanksgiving. I think Thanksgiving should have Fall decor, pumpkins and stuff.

Gatlinburg...
Level Contributor
2,034 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Opinions about Christmas Decorations

Good question Dodgeball

We are new owners and I was wondering the same thing.

We just put up some fall items and I really did not want to take them down the first of Nov.

But on the other hand, as a tourist, we always looked forward to the Christmas decor in town being up in early Nov.

I am thinking we will try to get down right after Thanksgiving and put up Christmas decor.

I guess you could leave it up thru most of January, just like the town decor.

Pikeville, Ky.
Level Contributor
146 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Opinions about Christmas Decorations

In my home I fully decorate on Nov 1st so I would love to see it in a cabin early.

Great Smoky...
Level Contributor
2,019 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Opinions about Christmas Decorations

For what its worth I am renting with a cabin co this year and one of my questions was will the decorations be up we will be up the 13th thru the 18th and would love to get in the spirit of the holidays with the cabin decorated! So GO FOR IT!!!!!!!!

Blackshear, Georgia
Level Contributor
170 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Opinions about Christmas Decorations

I decorate with some things year round. I'm a Christmas person.

I have lots of collections.

But I try and have my trees all up by Halloween so i can turn them on right after. I love Christmas.

I think everyday should be Thanksgiving. So I try to the Fall decorationg in Sept. and Oct. and then Christmas right after Halloween until...................

Would you believe I am heading to the mts. in a few minutes. Hubby is taking me but for some reason I am not in the mood. Maybe hormones. I love the mts. but not this time

Plus today is also my Birhtday.

We will be there til next Friday and heading home.

We are taking yalls advice and staying at Twin Mts. We always stay in Gatlinburg so don't know about this one.

Plus I am already missing my 4 grandbaby boys. Boo-hoo

Brenda