We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TA Picnickers Check In!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,734 posts
Save Topic
TA Picnickers Check In!

Well, we’re home after a wonderful weekend, the highlight of course being the TA picnic. I’m not sure I can convey how fantastic the picnic was, but I will give it a try!

This coming together was such a joyous event.

The picnic started at 11:00, but I was so excited that my dh, being the good sport that he is, delivered me at 10:15. I paced, bit my nails and practically hyperventilated until the first fellow TA poster arrived. That was BWJ1956, and one hug from Bev was all I needed to relax me!

As everyone arrived it was fun to guess who each were. Everyone brought goodies to share, and Leafer made the cutest gift bags and name tags for us all. The weather was perfect, just cool enough for a beautiful fall day. We were having so much fun talking and getting to know each other that we forgot to make the smors! And if you know me, I never forget about chocolate!!!

As we returned to the cabin, I found myself felling a little melancholy, knowing that it would be a long time before we could all be together again. Honestly, I don’t know if the day could have gone any better – unless more of you could have been with us. Plan for next fall! I think this is going to be a yearly event!

I know everyone plans to report in as we all arrive home. I can’t wait to read them all!

west chester oh
Level Contributor
303 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: TA Picnickers Check In!

Glad you all had such a good time!! Wish I could of been there. We are leaving this Sat, can't wait! I am looking forward to reading all the trip reports.

I will let you know how our stay at The Inn at Chrismas Place is.

Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
429 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: TA Picnickers Check In!

We made it home safe and sound!! What a wonderful weekend! Oh, the stories we all shared and the fun we had!!

I'll try to post a report a little later after catching up on things on the home front.

bwj54

North Carolina
Level Contributor
144 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: TA Picnickers Check In!

Smokiesgrl, Happy to hear that everyone there had a great time and so wish that the hubby-to-be and I could have made it to meet you all. We do hope to be there next year. And since I love chocolate the same as you do lets make sure we have plenty for next years picnic.

Tn
Level Contributor
1,998 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: TA Picnickers Check In!

I just got home! I am ready to go back!

The picnic was wonderful! It was so sweet to meet so many wonderful people!

I finely saw bears!!!!!! ( My 27 year old son is sooo jealous! He went to Vagos this weekend instead of the mountains!)

I did not have internet at hotel but since I think it was the only room left in Gatlinburg I took it! But now I have 3 days of pictures to upload!

Jenn my DD and I did Caves Cove on friday after noon before we even went to hotel. Was a perfect time to not to crowded with weekend people yet! The prettiest I have ever seen it! My first time to be there in Oct.! (WE down loaded those 300 + pictures on to my lap top and cds, we both enjoy taking pictures!)

Sat. we got up at 4:30 am (I am usally going to bed about that time).

WE were at Clingmans dome before sunrise with sevral photographers (real ones not like us but I believe we enjoyed it more than any of them!). Wait until you see Jenns pics!

We then got some pics on the border at the gap and went into NC a little for some.

We had a wonderful time spending hours talking to other mountain lovers at the picnic!

Then Roaring Fork where we finely after abouta dozen trips to the mountains got to see a bear! Got pictures on 3 cameras, my cell phone and my movie camera! (If only those rangers got paid extra for say "Keep going, if you are going to stop you must be all the way off the road!")

It was sad to see almost all of the water dried up on Roaring Fork, but still beautiful!

Sun. we went back to Roaring Fork to look for bears, there were a couple but they were up to high to see good.

We went to Sugarlands and saw the museum we never took the time for before. It was real nice! Then we went to the Foothills Parkway, the one on the west side, we had never been to that side. It is beautiful! Not very many people. There was a place where huge rocks had fallen on the road but there was a pull off right there that is now the road to get around the rocks. How do you get to live in that one big house under all those beautiful mountains? Do they need a friend? House keeper?Anything!

At the end of the Foothills we turned right on 129, got a picture of one of those barns that say "See Rock City" The best picture I have ever taken out the window going 45 miles an hour! When we saw the store that had the sign for The Dragon Tail ride we got a little frantic thinking we were going to end up on it! Thank God it was the other way! I had completely forgot that 129 was the dragon tail! I had researched it before and wanted to go until I watched a couple videos on youtube!

We stoped at Falls Creek Falls in TN. The main waterfall was the ONLY one that had ANY water! We were the last ones out before the rangers closed the gates. There were MANY deer there!

I am waiting to see everyones beautiful pictures!

IS there a photo site that I can do ALL of these at:

Upload pictures and videos

Fix and delete individual pics after upload

Kodak I can not upload videos

Webshots I can not fix and delete individual pics

I have herd a lot of people having problems with photobucket lately

alabama
Level Contributor
331 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: TA Picnickers Check In!

sounds like a great time!!

North Carolina
Level Contributor
296 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: TA Picnickers Check In!

Oh my Gosh you sound like you had the best time!! I can totally read your enthusiasm through your words!! I would LOVE to see your pics of the sunrise @ Clingmans Dome. I bet it was COLD up there wasnt it????

missouri
Level Contributor
159 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: TA Picnickers Check In!

Had a fantastic time!! I posted a thank you to all who put so much effort in the picnic on another thread.

Leafer. I just LOVE my little bag with the scarecrow on it!! Very neat! The name tags were great also!!

Smokie....I need to send you money for a print of that wonderful picture you created!

Well, I wanted to also thank ByGrace and Iluvgatlinburg for the better route going home. Wow, was that so much nicer!

THANK YOU!

Julie

missouri
Level Contributor
159 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: TA Picnickers Check In!

Hi BW!! **waving**

Julie

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,734 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: TA Picnickers Check In!

Hi juju - I am going to update the drawing and I will send it to you. No need to send money! It is my gift to everyone for a very memorable day!

Here are pics of our trip including a couple from the picnic. Someone took lots of candid shots, wish I could remember who.

s230.photobucket.com/albums/ee281/smokiesgrl/

Ohio
Level Contributor
577 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: TA Picnickers Check In!

Hey everybody!! We just got home.....so sad to leave the mountains. We had a great time meeting everybody & I probably could have stayed all day & talked....that's me! I'll post a report & pics later....tired & hungry right now.

Smokiesgrl~As we were sitting in traffic today @ 5:00 in Cincinnati.....I told dh that I should call you just to chat! Of course I didn't do it, but it was pretty boring just sitting there. We still made it home in good time though. Pick up dd in the morning...can't wait to see her!