We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Year's Eve in Gatlinburg...

Which Gatlinburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wish I was in...
Level Contributor
1,425 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
New Year's Eve in Gatlinburg...

Where is the best place to stand to watch the fireworks? I know you can see the Space Needle from pretty much anywhere on the Parkway, but I want to be in the middle of the action.

Does everyone mainly stay on the Parkway, or do they line up on Historic Nature Trail also?

This is our first trip for New Years, so I am not sure of what I need to do. I did read on another post earlier this year, that you don't want to get to close to the Space Needle because of falling debris from the fireworks.

I found out that free party favors will be passed out at Mr. Tablecloth on Historic Nature Trail near the base of the Space Needle.

Also, parking isn't going to be an issue for us. We are staying close so we can walk to town.

Any info or tips will be greatly appreciated. I can't wait to be back in the mountains!!!

Powhatan, Virginia
Level Contributor
421 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Year's Eve in Gatlinburg...

Thanks firefighterzfrl...and congratulations!

I hope someone gives us the info! I'll be there too! We're staying in our cabin and plan to park at Welcome Center and take the trolley into town.

First time for us on New Years too!

Also, can anyone tell me when we should plan to get downtown?

Clinton, MS
Level Contributor
837 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Year's Eve in Gatlinburg...

Our New Year's Eve Trip in 2004 was poorly planned out. I can tell you what not to do. We made resv. at Blaine's New Year's Eve Bash and it was horrible. We thought we could go out and see the coutdown at the space needle but they would not let us. Quoting "if you leave stay out!'". I understood and walked out onto the crowded street to try to get glimpse by this time it had already started so we missed most of it. Then we followed the wave after it was over to our car parked in the garage. It was also a lesson learned. I don't suggest parking in a garage because you will have to wait 1 hr or so before you can move. Try to stay close in a hotel or a cabin that you can walk to the downtown area. Overall it was just bad. If you want a good spot to stand I would suggest to scout out an area the day before or so. Hope ya'll have a wonderful New Year's Eve time.

Sevierville...
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: New Year's Eve in Gatlinburg...

New Year's Eve in Gatlinburg...Lots of fun. You have to do this at least once in your life. I have been to NY in Time Square for New Years ball drop about 10 years ago and Gatlinburg is just as much funnnn. There really isn't a bad seat in the house, well not a bad place to stand, Lucky to get a seat. I have seen it from a chalet above Ober and also in the street right underneath it. Both were great! Only advice is go early and steak a spot if your going to be in the city and also dress warm (hat, gloves, scarf, big coat) it feels very cold just standing there waiting for the fireworks to begin.

CH

TN
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: New Year's Eve in Gatlinburg...

We will be there!! I can't wait! I've been once during new years eve and I had a blast. My husband hasn't been so I know we will have fun. I'm so excited!

Jacksonville, AL
Level Contributor
55 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New Year's Eve in Gatlinburg...

We will be there too!!!

Asheboro, N.C.
Level Contributor
1,962 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New Year's Eve in Gatlinburg...

We will be there too. Merry Christmas everyone and Happy New Year!!!!!!!!!

Wish I was in...
Level Contributor
1,425 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New Year's Eve in Gatlinburg...

Well, according to Accuweather's 15 day forecast, all of us who are going for New Year's will be watching the ball drop in 13 degree weather!

BRRRRR!!!

Lorain, Ohio
Level Contributor
852 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New Year's Eve in Gatlinburg...

I'll be there in spirit...and maybe on the webcam!!

Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!!!

9. Re: New Year's Eve in Gatlinburg...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 September 2009, 23:17