We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

elkmont?

ky.boy
Level Contributor
590 posts
Save Topic
elkmont?

When searching things to do in the smokies off the beaton path i came across elkmont.How exactly do you get there from gatlinburg and how do you get to the ghost town, is there a hike involved?Also can you actually go inside the old buildings and cabins left from years gone by?thx

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,734 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: elkmont?

Elkmont is a great place to explore. The ghost town is the ruins of cabins and homes that were once owned by prominent wealthy families and used as summer houses I believe. It became a mountain resort community from a logging community. You can see the homes and the Elkmont Hotel, but you can not go in any of them. Most of them would be dangerous to do so. There is also a cemetery there with names like Metcalf and Walker burried there. Little River Trail is nice hike that follows the river.

You can see some pictures and read more about it here:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elkmont,_Tennessee

From Gatlinburg, head into the park from light #10. In just under 2 miles, Turn right onto Little River Road/73 (you can't miss it). Take Little River Road about 5 miles and turn left into Elkmont. Once you turn into Elkmont you will wind around coming to the river. The road to the cemetery will be on the left. I believe you can see the old hotel and cabins from that road.

Have fun!

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
135 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: elkmont?

Hi Smokiesgrl, Is Elkmont the area where the fireflys light up at once in July?

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,734 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: elkmont?

Hello - It is the area for the fireflies, but it's in June. I haven't seen it, but doesn't it sound awesome?!

Rincon Georgia
Level Contributor
830 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: elkmont?

Didn't they tear down the hotel sometime in the past year?

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
1,698 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: elkmont?

Hi junktruck,

In October I really enjoyed hiking & driving around Elkmont.

As Smokiesgrl mentioned above, after turning onto Elkmont Rd from Little River Rd, take your first left onto a gravel road. While driving up this road, be sure to check out the old vacation homes on the ridge on your right. Towards the top of the hill, you'll see the old cemetery on your left. The gravel road will dead end.

Going back to Elkmont Rd, take a left from the gravel road. About 50 yards or so, look to your left for the old steps going up the hill to where the Wonderland Hotel once stood. (You can park a little further up on your left.) Go up the steps to the top and you'll see a very nice board describing the Wonderland Hotel. All that's left up there is the concrete slab and a few chimney builds. Next to the hotel is the Wonderland Hotel Anex, plus some other vacation houses.

Keep heading down Elkmont Rd until you think you'll end up at the entrance to the campground. Bear left. A little way down that road you'll see a pull-off on the left. That's the Elkmont Trail. Purchase a trail guide and walk the trail. I'm not much of a hiker at all, but I enjoyed it because of the references to history and old home places there.

Keep going down the road and you'll see a pull-off for some other trail on the left that they say is real nice. Keep going to the right and it will take you to Daisy Town and Society Hill of Elkmont. Here's where you can walk or drive the road and see the vacation homes.

You can walk all around the homes, but DO NOT go inside. It is a Federal offense if you do and will probably not be cheap if caught.

Check out the websites below. The first one is a nice YouTube video some guy did about Elkmont. The second has some nice pictures of Elkmont.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7x4bmksLuBs

www.ghosttowns.com/states/tn/elkmont.html

Enjoy!

Bob

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
1,698 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: elkmont?

Yes they did wm1019.

ky.boy
Level Contributor
590 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: elkmont?

i was under the impression the wonderland hotel had historic status and couldnt br torn down,its a shame if it has been.

ky.boy
Level Contributor
590 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: elkmont?

I just came from webshots and saw many pictures of the homes and cabins in elkmont, i think i would find it hard not to at least go onto the porches and peer into the windows, does anyone know if thats allowed?

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
1,698 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: elkmont?

When I saw the Wonderland Hotel a few years ago, it was in VERY bad shape. They had a chain link fence around it to keep people out. Although I hate to see things like that torn down, I think it was a good thing to do mainly for safety reasons.

The main topic of discussion is what to do with the area.

No guarantees, but I think it would be ok (be careful!) to go on the porches and walk all around the vacation homes. I did at some of them, and even took pictures through the windows of the inside of one my parents stayed at one time. I can't remember, but I think the signs say to not go INSIDE the homes. Walking all around the outside and on porches should be just fine.

Check out these websites:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elkmont%2C_Tennessee

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wonderland_Hotel

For those that like to camp out and hike, I think the Elkmont Campground would be a wonderful place to stay. To me it would be so neat to be able to hike the old roads all around the vacation homes, plus see the sites of the old logging community.

Cottage Hills...
Level Contributor
547 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: elkmont?

jt: A site I stumbled across on the web is very picturesque. You might try it, but I do not know for sure how current it would be. However here it is

www.ghosttowns.com/state/tn/elkmont.html

It also has a history of the entire area with pictures.