We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What time??????????

Clinton, MS
Level Contributor
837 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
What time??????????

My question I have for all TA friends. I have insomnia and can't sleep so I am scrolling the latest on TA. Okay here is my question. WHAT TIME OF THE YEAR IF YOU HAD TO CHOOSE THAT YOU WOULD GO TO THE SMOKIES AND WHY. Reason is this year we plan on big long trip and not 2 small ones. Please tell me why and when... Can't wait to hear. Oh yeah I know it is hard to narrow one. Thank you

Aurora,KY
Level Contributor
528 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What time??????????

I have insomnia also so I will keep you company. We love to go in the fall---late October and early November. Main reason of course are the fall colors (hopefully peak season)and the temperatures. When I feel well enough to hike it is so much nicer hiking in the cooler weather. In fact it is nicer walking the strip in cooler weather, too. I just think the air seems fresher in the fall and hopefully I pick the weeks when the crowds are not that bad. I like having a fireplace and they aren't available all year long. I haven't been in the Spring but our daughter told me that is also a good time to go and see the Spring flowers so I think I would like to try that. Anytime is a good time for the Smokies although I don't believe I would want to be there in the hot summer months (July & August) but I wouldn't turn down a trip if I was offered one.

Linda

Tn
Level Contributor
1,998 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What time??????????

Ditto ^ so beautiful with fall colors!

Great Smoky...
Level Contributor
2,019 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What time??????????

Ditto Ditto on the November trip and remember you also have the fall colors, fireplace,AND the Christmas lights and cool weather I hate to sweat so fall and winter is good for me mabey when I get alittle weight off of me it wont be so bad. lol but this year we will be going the 7-14 of December because the rates are way down and we just want to get away set infront of the fireplace just the 2 of us enjoy Cades Cove ect. and mabey hope for a bit of snow!

Illinois
Level Contributor
239 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What time??????????

We love the Spring. The wildflowers, nice temperatures, no crowds. Because there are so few leaves on the trees & other vegetation - and the green is so lush - you can see into the forest much better. The waterfalls are usually at their best.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
228 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What time??????????

We will go ANYTIME! We go in Jan. as there are no crowds and the HOT TUB feels wonderful.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
373 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: What time??????????

Anytime you get to go to Gatlinburg is a treat and there are so many favorite times of mine it is hard to choose just one. I love to be there in the fall when all the leaves are changing but I also love it there in the spring when the flowers are starting to bloom. Then you have the 4th of July when they have the fireworks and in December they have the Christmas parade. November is when winter fest starts and then there's the chili cook off and the craftman's fair. So you see there is always something going on and just the beauty of the mountains there is no bad time to go.

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
2,456 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What time??????????

SMG.. I would go ANY time except the Heat of the summer with summer crowds. High temps are what we try to escape when we come up there. Now my most perfect time.. Peak fall( end of Oct/early Nov) Temps 50-60s in day and 30s-40s at night. Pleasantly cool in the day to enjoy it all and cold enough at night to light a fireplace and possibly have a early snow. Nothing like it.

B

ohio
Level Contributor
169 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: What time??????????

I would go to the Smokies any chance I get but my favorite time is April/May. One year we went in June.Too hot and very humid. Then we went in Oct. Too busy!Yes it's beautiful but I think we spent more time stuck in traffic and waiting in lines than anything else! We usally go in Sept or May but I like May the best. Everything is lush and green,the waterfalls are nice and best of all, it's not crowded!

Clinton, MS
Level Contributor
837 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What time??????????

Thanks guys & gals. I 100% agree that anytime is a treat but then we went in 2007 for my 30th birthday in July and it was pretty miserable. But I put on a good face and was blessed that we got the chance to go. We have decided that we wanted to go the week of the Chili Cook off & Winterfest Start. I think with trees being later each year we should see some pretty colors still and then kickoff Winterfest all in one. Can't beat that!! We are staying 8 whole nites!! Hubby has free travel pts. and we will stay at Park Vista for 2 nites and check in our cabin for 6 nite. Now if we can narrow down which one and soon so that it doesn't get reserved. Reason for Park Vista (pet friendly & the views).

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,524 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What time??????????

Without a doubt, spring. Crowds are light; waterfalls are heavy; and wildflower, rhododendron, and mountain laurel colors are at their best. Specifically, probably April or May.