We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gatlinburg Winery & Things to do?

Which Gatlinburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
North Carolina
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Gatlinburg Winery & Things to do?

My husband and I are planning a "second honeymoon" trip to Gatlinburg in late August. We went to Gatlinburg for one night during our honeymoon six years ago. We did all the Ripley's museums, Stars Cars, etc that last time around and are looking for some other ideas as to what to do this time. We didn't get to visit the Aquarium last time, so that's definately on the list. I've also been seeing a lot of brochures and such on the Winery in Gatlinburg. Is this worth a trip? How is their wine? From what I've understood, the "tour" isn't much to speak of, but would it be worth going to pick up a few bottles of wine? We also want to do either the Ober Tram or the Sky Lift as we didn't do either of those our last trip. From what I understand, there's nothing at the top of the Sky Lift, but I'd rather have that, then a "bad taste left in my mouth" by the Ober area if it's as run down as the reviews I've read. I'm a little scared of heights though, so I'm worried about how I'm going to handle the chair lift. Which has the better view of the mountains and city at the top?

I'm sure I'll have lots more questions as I continue to plan, so thanks in advance for all your help!

michigan
Level Contributor
201 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gatlinburg Winery & Things to do?

We always go to the winery and have never done the "tour". We just try all the wines and buy a bunch. They have a pretty good variety, and we always open at least one up for the hot tub, and bring a bunch home-it's like bringing a little vacation with us! I have only done the chair lift, and it was scary(I'm scared of heights) but fun as soon as I relaxed. Pretty spendy for what you get, but worth doing once I think. And make sure you spend some time in the park, if you want recommendations for hikes do a post for that, you'll get lots of responses.

Clinton, MS
Level Contributor
837 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gatlinburg Winery & Things to do?

We did the Tramway instead of the chairlift and I am also a little nervous of heights and it wasn't that bad. Gorgeous views and the top you can go ice skating to playing some games. If want a snack you can get one. Ober is a little run down but we liked it just fine.

Tn
Level Contributor
1,998 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gatlinburg Winery & Things to do?

The winery is small, I did not know they have a tour. My son was shocked that taste samples are in tiny communion cups. The first time we went it was to crowded to see anything. I could not drink at the time due to illness. My children and everyone on here seem to be very pleased with the wine. They really like the ones at the Apple Barn in PF to.

The sky tram, I think you have to stand up all the way, but you are closed in. (If it is like the ones in Brazil as it looks then it is still scarey getting in and out of and I am not scared of hieghts) The lift you get to sit down but are really outside! My daughters that are afraid of hieghts will not go on either one!

I hope more people will answer here on if one has better views than the other!

Louisiana
Level Contributor
581 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Gatlinburg Winery & Things to do?

Hi, RBG! I've done both and I liked the thrill of the lift as well as "feeling" the view. We also liked the corny "smile for your souvenir picture", as we arrived at the top. That photograph is what memories are made of!

Carol

Signal Mountain...
Level Contributor
1 post
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gatlinburg Winery & Things to do?

We live in Chattanooga and have been to Gatlinburg a few times. The Winery is on our list of places to pick up some good local wine (we are not snob wine drinkers, but we like them). They can't ship (state law) so you can only buy it there or a store. I don't know of a tour, though. Wine tasting helps as you can get a sense of whether you would like it or not. I would carve out about 15-30 min for it depending on how busy. Only a small operation, but good value for money on the wine.

As far as the Ober lift or sky lift - don't think of Colorado or some fancy ski resort. Local, basic entertainment area. The view is worth it for either, but you are not going to end up in a posh or sophisticated lodge or complex.

Ohio
Level Contributor
63 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gatlinburg Winery & Things to do?

Hubby and I went to the winery last year. We loved the blackberry wine and it's very reasonable. We bought 6 bottles for 60.00 plus tax. It was fun tasting the different wines especially since we had never been to a winery before. It is small but worth the trip.

I'd suggest Ober. We always take the tram up and you can find coupons for 1.00 off at the welcome center. They have a black bear habitat there that we always go see. I think it's 3.00 per person. They have several black bears and the story behind each one.

I've heard the lift is pretty pricey.

Ohio
Level Contributor
63 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gatlinburg Winery & Things to do?

Forgot to mention, there are seats on the tram but not everyone gets one. We usually get a seat about 70% of the time.

USA/Tennessee
Level Contributor
323 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gatlinburg Winery & Things to do?

Spend your time in the Smokey Mountains. Drive to Newfound Gap, the view is incredible, don't forget your camera.

Do the Roaring Fork Motor Nature Trail, buy the $1.00 brochure that gives information about each numbered spot.

Hike to a waterfall or 2. You will be refreshed and rejuvinated by nature.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
1,698 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Gatlinburg Winery & Things to do?

Hi TinkTwo,

I'm another one that likes the wine from Smoky Mountain Winery. Every visit to Gatlinburg I buy three or four bottles to take home. My two ALWAYS buy wines are Muscadine Red and Muscadine White. Then the others are based on what I taste and like there. I've never taken the tour, but I think it's a very small self guided tour.

Bob

Lafayette, LA
Level Contributor
179 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Gatlinburg Winery & Things to do?

I found the Gatlinburg skylift to be overpriced (but what isn't) The views were not that good. I found views were better on Newfound Gap Road. IMO.