We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time to Smokies - advice for May

Mansfield, United...
Level Contributor
80 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
First time to Smokies - advice for May

Hi There we are from England and are planning a trip for May, just noticed on some of the hotel rates that May 22-25 is classed as a holiday. Will it be very busy in the park over that weekend and should we avoid by doing the park at the beginning of our trip around May 13?

Also - will everywhere be busy this weekend so do we need to book in advance, also planning to visit Nashville and Memphis.

Looking forward to your advice.

Mentioned in this post
Memphis
Memphis
Tennessee
Oneonta, Alabama
Level Contributor
942 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time to Smokies - advice for May

spirret,

Those dates are more crowded due to a holiday called Memorial Day. Many Americans are off on Monday May 26th, so that week will be more crowded than May 13. If you want to avoid crowds, going earlier around May 13th may be better.

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
2,456 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time to Smokies - advice for May

spirrett, here is a list of May events in the Smokies that might aid you in your trip planning.

There is one car show but the influx of visitors will be nothing like what the April and Sept Rod Run (car show) draw.

www.smokymountainexpress.com/events-may.html

Happy planning!!!

B

Chillicothe, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Sandusky
Level Contributor
3,589 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time to Smokies - advice for May

memorial day weekend is when we usually come to g-burg. i've found if i get up early and do the things i really want to do before the rest of the crowds, then it isn't so bad. but if you wait to do things until 10am-the rest of the day, it will be crowded. only place that wasn't crowded last year during mid-day was greenbrier for a picnic lunch and wading in the river. i would definately hit the park during your ealier dates... you'll catch the azelas and rhododenrons blooming more too (most were done by the time we were there eand of may).

Wilmington, NC
Level Contributor
368 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time to Smokies - advice for May

We packed a picnic breakfast and left at 7:40 am to do the park and it was perfect! Not only was it empty, but you got great lighting for pictures, and most animals are out feeding at that time. Now if only I could afford to do England!lol

michigan
Level Contributor
205 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time to Smokies - advice for May

Everywhere will be busier than normal that weekend, but out of your mentioned destinations, I would LEAST want to be in the park that weekend. Lots of one lane roads, traffic backups, crowded restaurants, no thanks.

6. Re: First time to Smokies - advice for May

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 September 2009, 21:18