We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

is drive from knoxville over mountainside or on flat main ro

england
Level Contributor
68 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
is drive from knoxville over mountainside or on flat main ro

was wondering if the drive from knoxville is on flat main roads or up in the high mountains and on steep inclines only i dont like heights

Brewton, Alabama
Level Contributor
1,386 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: is drive from knoxville over mountainside or on flat main ro

Good,mostly flat road. 4 laned highway. Help me out TA friends, I forgot the road name/number for the highway that leads you straight into Sevierville then Pigeon Forge.

Florida
Level Contributor
3,917 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: is drive from knoxville over mountainside or on flat main ro

flat interstate, followed by a flat 4 lane road with miserable traffic...:)

Hebron, Indiana
Level Contributor
1,450 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: is drive from knoxville over mountainside or on flat main ro

I-40 to exit 407

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
2,456 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: is drive from knoxville over mountainside or on flat main ro

The direction that we come is through Maryville and Townsend(foothills of mountains) then to PF by way of Wears Valley Road, hitting the main parkway straight into Gat. We do this because I like getting into the mountains as soon as possible. I guess you will be flying into Knoxville and this is why you asked, right?

B

Brewton, Alabama
Level Contributor
1,386 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: is drive from knoxville over mountainside or on flat main ro

Thanks Cookie. I couldn't remember the exit number. We have driven both this way and through Maryvale. For some reason the road through Maryvale seems so longer. However the traffic on exit 407 can be grim.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
1,698 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: is drive from knoxville over mountainside or on flat main ro

Hi fostermim,

Here is a quick link to what Google shows is the quickest way to Gatlinburg from McGhee Tyson Airport:

http://tinyurl.com/35xe2j

I must remind you, like the others above, that traffic can be a problem, especially since they are doing road construction work on the road between Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg.

My suggestion is to go through Maryville to Townsend. From there I would go from Townsend into the National Park and follow Little River Road to Gatlinburg. Unless it's a holiday weekend, you won't find much traffic at all. Here's the Google Maps link:

http://tinyurl.com/36ka9r

Neither way is high altitude. The last map is almost all "bottom land" following a river. (Much of it is actually built on top of an old logging train track. Lots of curves, though, but no hairpin very sharp turns. But, VERY beautiful!! Plus, you'll pass by (and hopefully stop and visit) the park Sugarlands Visitor's Center. Very much worth the stop if you're interested in the National Park.

Cottage Hills...
Level Contributor
547 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: is drive from knoxville over mountainside or on flat main ro

fostermim: If you are flying into Nashville Airport, you can obtain a map from the auto rental agency that will give directions to Gatlinburg.

The drive is about 223 miles via the interstate (40)

exit 407 is the most popular. This will take you into Gatlinburg.

There is a welcome Center in Sevierville that will assist you in any questions you may have about places to stay, restaurants, sights, entertainment etc.

The drive is mainly a flat one as you would imagine, and the only hilly parts would be if you were to drive into the Smoky Mtn Natn'l Park.

Hope you have a pleasant stay.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
1,530 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: is drive from knoxville over mountainside or on flat main ro

We take the same route as BSmith, only we continue through Townsend and take Little River Road through the park into Gatlinburg.

We do take Wear's Valley Road when staying in PF or in a cabin along that route, but we really enjoy stopping along Little River Road and getting our first breath of mountain air while listening to the river flow.

For some reason I enjoy driving through Maryville. Looks like the ideal place to live,..not too small, not too big, and it would be real easy to do three day weekends in the National Park from there.

The idea of retirment in Maryville is very appealing.

9. Re: is drive from knoxville over mountainside or on flat main ro

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 September 2009, 03:17