We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on Cabin from vrbo

Which Gatlinburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
FLMom120
5 posts
Save Topic
Advice on Cabin from vrbo

Hi Everyone,

This forum is awesome. Everyone is so helpful and knowledgeable. I have been reading the posts for weeks now while planning my trip.

I think I found the perfect cabin for our family, but I am hesitant just because it's from vrbo. I am wondering if anyone has stayed there before.

http://www.vrbo.com/129692

Check it out if you can. :)

We're planning on going in June.

Thanks!

Michigan
Level Contributor
426 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice on Cabin from vrbo

It looks very nice. Great location and price. We have rented many times from VRBO and never have had a problem. Is there any extra charges? That seems like to cheap a price.

FLMom120
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice on Cabin from vrbo

I got a quote from them already. Total price for 5 nights is 706.28 and the 6th night (if we can use it) is free. That's including their "cleaning fee". I made sure to ask if there are any other fees and they said that's it.

Even with the fee... and boy do I hate those fees, it still seems like a good deal. What do ya think?

Michigan
Level Contributor
426 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice on Cabin from vrbo

WOW.. on the website it says 100.00 a night. Does't mention any extras. Looks like you are getting hit up for 206.00 in extras. I would think this one over.

Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,476 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice on Cabin from vrbo

Just make sure to pay with a credit card to protect yourself from any type of fraud. One person had paid a 50% deposit and phones were disconnected. Another person rented a condo in Gulf Shores that did not exist. While most VRBO owners are great, you do have those that ruin it for everyone.

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
2,456 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice on Cabin from vrbo

Glad you spoke directly with the owner. I looked up the number and it is a business owner in Miami. This is a good deal for a 2 BR for 6 nights. The VRBO total is probably a winter rate and June will be higher, thus the difference in the price. I would make sure I asked her if she had more pics of the cabin, get the distance from the cabin to the trolley stop. Walkable distance can vary from person to person. Ask who cleans and maintains their cabin for them since they live in Miami and make sure emergency numbers are available in the cabin. I would ask how close the nearest cabin is.

Now, all that said.. I like the cabin("Cozy Retreat") I like the location in the A and C community, I like seeing the paved road up to the cabin, and I love the price (Bottom line $$$).

Just wish they had some previous guest comments posted or someone on here has stayed there.. It would help you alot, I know.

B

FLMom120
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice on Cabin from vrbo

Thanks for all your help!!! I will let you know how it goes.

Tn
Level Contributor
1,998 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice on Cabin from vrbo

Ask who cleans and maintains their cabin!!!!

And is it well water with surfur problems!

I rented a cabin threw vrbo and had serius problems with the cabin being filthy and the water stinking so bad it was sickning. "Cabin Services" did not answer phone or return calls.

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
480 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice on Cabin from vrbo

Hi FLMom,

This is a nice looking cabin but there's so little info and photos that it does concern me just a bit. I advertise three cabins on vrbo myself and have done copywriting for people who own rentals so this is sort of up my alley.

Listings with 12 photos cost far more than those with 3 photos, so anyone who puts out that much money is usually more serious about their rental business. I also saw that the owner did not provide much in the description...only two paragraphs and one is just about the location and GB convention center.

The guestbook has no entries at all and there is no link to an "owner's web site." Usually when cabin owners opt for only 3 photos, they link to their own web site where they can have slide shows and more information.

Another thing I noticed is that their pricing is REALLY low if it is indeed the year-round rate. It's somewhat odd that they charge the same rate in the cold, off season as they do in the peak summer months. Their calendar shows only a couple bookings and that surprises me. Popular cabins with lots of repeat guests or very good prices, tend to have rentals on the calendar. Now I could be wrong...because some owners aren't quick to update their calendars or they just don't place a priority on keeping it current.

Here's my take FLMom...this site was posted less than a year ago. I tend to think that this owner may be a newbie and is just starting out. Or they just aren't clued in to how important photos, information and testimonials are. The fact that the rate structure is extremely simple and almost too low, I tend to think this may be someone who isn't really savvy to the rental business or they are very new to it.

Just make sure you ask lots of questions, as BSmith suggested. You want to know the distance to the trolley stop and whether it's walkable from the cabin...do you have a view?...how close are the nearest cabins...are there any gravel roads leading up to it...how many minutes does it take you to reach Gatlinburg (not miles). I also like the paved, level parking area--that's a plus.

This cabin offers a LOT for the money. Even if the summer rate is $125 a night...it's a bargain IF all the answers to your questions make you feel good about it. And yes--pay by credit card! Just know that driving in from the A&C area is a bit more of a drive than being located closer to town and you may get tired of the back-and-forth. Good luck and let us know how you do!

Marietta, Georgia
Level Contributor
576 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Advice on Cabin from vrbo

We have used vrbo about 5 times around the country, and have never had any problem. We just reserved a Gatlinburg cabin in Black Bear Falls for a week in July. VRBO has a security feature where you can register your rental, and they will reimburse you for up to $5000 (I believe) if the rental is not legitimate. You must register within one week of confirming your rental. It is great piece of mind, but of course we have never had the slightest problem.

Cleveland OH
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Advice on Cabin from vrbo

Hi,

Like others here I have used vrbo many times before. I hope your concerns aren't based directly on the fact that it is vrbo.

OnStar has some good points. Ask questions and if you don't get a good feeling, go elsewhere. Any good owner will be glad to answer any and all questions. I have asked them in the past, rented from the owner, and never been disappointed.

Vrbo is a good company and I don't hesitate to use them. Art's comment about registering your stay is a good one, look into that.