We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tips for a trip to Dollywood from Australia!

Which Gatlinburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
sydney
Level Contributor
204 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Tips for a trip to Dollywood from Australia!

I would love to visit Dollywood and parts of the Smoky Mountains some time in the next few years.

I would most likely be flying into Knoxville airport from Chicago or New York City.Is there any public transport from Knoxville airport to Gatlinburg/pigeon forge area? Are there any ways of getting around without a car as I will not be driving.

I would greatly appreciate any other tips you may have on which is the best town to stay,the best time to visit (although I think Christmas decorations would be best)and the best places to see!!

Thank you

Florida
Level Contributor
3,917 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tips for a trip to Dollywood from Australia!

If you are active, spring or summer is best. Hiking, camping, bbq'ing, whitewater rafting, rubing, etc.

Dollywood is not open year round but I believe is during Christmas...but it's cold and they have water rides.

Public transportation is not very good in the US. Additionally, getting into the National Park and seeing different things would be really difficult without a car.

What stops you from hiring a car? It's not very expensive.

Cottage Hills...
Level Contributor
547 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tips for a trip to Dollywood from Australia!

Gottadream: Well hello to you from down under. First, if you visit at Christmas season, there will be a lot of activity in Gatlinburg with the visitors that come to see the lighting, and see some snow, which sometime happens, but not always. If you decide to come in the warmer months, there are more things to do outdoor, like hiking, horseback riding, and you can expect things to be a lot busier.

If you are not coming for a year or more, it would be easier, if you were to try this again, at a time closer to your actual visit, as the transportation system could change. However for the time being, there is not any public transportation from McGee/Tyson airport to Gatlinburg.

This is a difficult place to actually enjoy as a visiting vacationer, if you do not wish to do any driving. Up here, everything is spread out, and requires a little time to get from one place to another. In Gatlinburg, there is a trolly system that will allow you to visit from one end of the strip to the other, as well as several alternate routes for a small fee. The rest, you can get out and walk. There is a lot to see.

If you would contact the Gatlinburg Chamber of commerce on line (www.gatlinburg.com) you can get a vacation planner mailed, and I think there is an electronic version to view.

If you visit the site www.discoverthesmokies.com you can view all the businesses, restaurants etc., from Sevierville to Gatlinburg, including all hotels/motels, including a lot more information.

Hope this helps for not, but be aware, that by the time you decide to visit, if you do, you will have to do this all over, because for certain, some things will change.....like the weather.

Hope this helps.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,524 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tips for a trip to Dollywood from Australia!

I vote for spring. Crowds are light, temperatures are mild, waterfalls are gushing, critters are abundant, and wildflowers are blooming. The best part being the light crowds, of course. If you want to be in the thick of things, Gatlinburg is your best bet. However, if you’d like a more quiet location and if your main reason for coming is the national park (which trumps Dollywood or any other attraction ten times over) you might want to consider Townsend. If you like to camp, the campgrounds in the park are great. In the park, the must dos are hiking and a scenic drive to Roaring Fork, Clingman’s Dome, or Cades Cove. You can also fish, horseback ride, drive a back country road, or go whitewater rafting.

Kristian

Tn
Level Contributor
1,998 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tips for a trip to Dollywood from Australia!

Great Smoky Mountain Institute has a shuttle bu tI do not know if they let people not staying with them use it. I know I saw some other info on shuttles from the airport some where!

I posted info on shuttles to the park from Gatlinburg on a thread a day pr two ago but which one? Let me search! Anyone else know?

Tn
Level Contributor
1,998 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tips for a trip to Dollywood from Australia!

Wow, you really have to do some searching for information on shuttles from air port to Gatlinburg or PF!

It is like no one wants to lists all of them. Do they only list the ones that pay them to list? Even Gatlinburg.com only lists 2 limo companies!

Listing of many taxi and shuttle companies in Knoxville and Sevierville. I do not know which ones go from airport to Gatlinburg or PF or Park.

magicyellow.com/category/…Knoxville_TN.html

Shuttle from Gatlinburg to Cherokee

pigeonforge.com/weblog/…more

Glenstone Lodge site has:

shuttle service available to Gatlinburg through airport limousine services at (865) 671-2509.

Listings of several shuttle services:

www.visit-gatlinburg.org/transportation/

Smoky Mountain Tours in Gatlinburg provides bus tours of the park as well as shuttle service from McGhee-Tyson Airport to Gatlinburg. Sassafras Transportation provides year-round bus service between Knoxville and Gatlinburg with stops at points between. Seasonal schedules apply; for more information, please call (865) 971-4075.

The city of Gatlinburg trolley service operates a daily shuttle, June to October, to three popular locations in the park.

The service runs between downtown Gatlinburg and the Sugarlands Visitor Center, Laurel Falls Trail and Elkmont Campground at minimal cost to the rider.http://www.americanparknetwork.com/parkinfo/content.asp?catid=69&contenttypeid=32

The government does TALK about getting more transportation: …ornl.gov/cta/…ORNL_TM_2002_256.pdf

USA
Level Contributor
2,214 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tips for a trip to Dollywood from Australia!

Public transport is not very good, but there are cheap car rentals from the Airport, and you will need the car to fully explore the park.

If you don't mind the heat (and being from Sydney you're no doubt used to it), come in late summer--say the week before our Labor Day weekend(1st Monday in September). This a great time to visit Dollywood as it won't be crowded.

You may really like the area in October though--it is cooler, but not too cool (think April in Sydney) and the trees will be changing in color. You don't really get that with the Eucalyptuses in the Blue Mountains do you?

sydney
Level Contributor
204 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Tips for a trip to Dollywood from Australia!

Thank you so much everyone for all the wonderful information and advice.It is all most helpful.

Sounds like I have to rethink the no driving plan!

Middle Aged Man - Yes,the valleys and hills are blue with the haze of eucalyptus oil but there are also spectacular colours in autumn in the Mountains (especially upper mountain) as many residents' gardens are full of European deciduous trees.

But I must see the Smoky Mountains to compare!

Chattanooga...
Level Contributor
2,102 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tips for a trip to Dollywood from Australia!

ACTUALLY! if you can find a way from teh airport to serveirville they rent scooters adn such there! a large scooter would be great for getting around the area and visiting the park! better than a car!!!!!

sydney
Level Contributor
204 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Tips for a trip to Dollywood from Australia!

chasm4u,that is a great,original idea and I can just see myself zipping in and out of parks and along walkways and highways on the scooter!

Thanks for the laugh and I will think seriously about this too.Great idea!!

USA
Level Contributor
2,214 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tips for a trip to Dollywood from Australia!

Oh sure....and that mile 6000 ft. climb up to New Found gap would be so fun. And all those cars stuck behind you with on a road cut into a cliff would be laughing as well ;)