We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grotto Falls

Which Gatlinburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Rincon Georgia
Level Contributor
827 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Grotto Falls

I have read on some sites that the hike to Grotto Falls is easy and on other that it is moderate. What are your opinions. Keep in mind that I thought Laurel Falls was "moderate" even though it is listed as "easy".

Wish I was in...
Level Contributor
1,425 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grotto Falls

I would say Grotto Falls is a moderate hike for your average person.

It is a gradual uphill all the way to the falls like Laurel. It is roughly 500 ft elevation gain in 1.3 miles.

The main difference is that Grotto has rocks and roots to watch out for since it is not paved. You need to wear good tennis shoes or hiking boots for this one.

Wish I was in...
Level Contributor
1,425 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grotto Falls

Also, the Grotto Falls trail can be a little muddy around the stream crossings.

Llamas travel this trail twice a week carrying supplies to the LeConte Lodge, so beware of llama poop!

You will be able to tell if the llamas are on the trail if there is a truck with a horse trailer in the parking area, near the trailhead.

Cullowhee, North...
Level Contributor
1,077 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Grotto Falls

Grotto Falls Is a great hike and it is a little more level thane Laurel. It is also a real trail as FFG pointed out. I actually like the waterfall itself more too.

Remember hiking is not about speed. It is about experiencing nature at a slower pace. Take your time and enjoy the hike.

Bob

Rincon Georgia
Level Contributor
827 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grotto Falls

Thanks ya'll. I think I am going to invest in a good pair of hiking boots so I can go ahead and break them in now. I am starting a walking routine to lose weight so maybe by the time of our trip, I will be in better shape to do these hikes. I figure if I take my time, it will go better and if I have to, I can just turn around and go back.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,524 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grotto Falls

For me or any other average hiker, it's undoubtedly easy. Four miles isn't much, especially on a developed trail.

6. Re: Grotto Falls

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 September 2009, 19:20