We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Favorite books about the area

Which Gatlinburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Tn
Level Contributor
1,998 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Favorite books about the area

I have so many wonderful ones I can not narrow down favorites so I will start with the one I just finished:

100 Secrets of the Smokies: A Savvy Traveler's Guide (The Savvy Traveler's Guide)by Randall Duckett, Maryellen Kennedy Duckett (Paperback)

Some of the things in it are not much of a secret but are so good you do not mind them mentioning at all! Some of the places are gone. :(

They cover places to eat, stay, see. They give very good directions.

The book said they have a web site but I can not find it. I wonder if they do not have it any more.

I go to the library and get 10 or more books at a time on the mountains and then the ones I really like (most of them) I order from Amazon or ebay.

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
135 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Favorite books about the area

The Insiders Guide is where I got the info about the Parkway Market. I also go to the library and get all the books I can about Tn and NC mountains. Its just a great way to build up to my next trip.

Thanks for sharing your book Redeemed.

Tn
Level Contributor
1,998 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Favorite books about the area

The Insiders Guide, Yes that is where the info about the markets where you can get very cheep good food including fried bologna sandwiches!

That is a real good book to! Thank you!

I forgot to say if you go to Amazon they have a contents listings of the secrets in the first book I mentioned and some of the pages. and if you put 100 secrets of the smokies in a search on internet some of the places in the book comed up becuse they use it on thier sites to promote thier self.

Pigeon Forge...
Level Contributor
1,818 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Favorite books about the area

My favorites so far:

Insiders Guide: Great Smoky Mountains

Smokies Road Guide

Great Smoky Mountains: A Vistor's Companion

100 Secrets of the Smokies: A Savvy Traveler's Guide

The starter pack of stuff from the Smoky Mtn. Store: It has many small books/pamphlets on the park areas

I also just ordered a new book called

Gatlinburg (Tourist Town Guides)by : Amy Bender

Portsmouth, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,037 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Favorite books about the area

I agree

Insider's Guide Great Smoky Mountains

This is the only book I have on the area but it is filled with lots of imformation including Getting Here and Getting Around and a sections on Real Estate in the area,Festivals and Annual Events,Shopping,Kidstuff,Dollywood,Attractions and

much much more.

Rincon Georgia
Level Contributor
827 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Favorite books about the area

The Smokies Road Guide is great. I also have Exploring the Smokies, and a really good one, The Unofficial Guide to the Great Smoky Mountains and Blue Ridge Region. I got it several years ago and it has wonderful info in it, and it covers, attractions, restaurants, hiking, waterfalls, just about everything. I can't remember where I bought it and can't find an updated version online.

Another one that I really like is Cades Cove As It Was. It has so many pictures of people of the cove and the homes that are no longer there. Maps of where the homes were. I am really enjoying that one.

Prattville, Alabama
Level Contributor
937 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Favorite books about the area

Anything by Juanitta Baldwin. I love her books.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
553 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Favorite books about the area

Thanks, everyone! I just ordered The Insiders Guide from Amazon! It will be here on Monday, perfect timing before our trip that Friday!

Hebron, Indiana
Level Contributor
1,443 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Favorite books about the area

I know this isn't a Smokies travel guide but I just finished "Mad Notions" the book about the murder in Gatlinburg years ago. The book was mentioned in some of the posts about the big house above the aquarium. Interesting book...it was cool when a certain road, like Buckhorn Rd or place , such as the overlook on the Gatlinburg By Pass was mentioned and I could say "hey, I know where that is!"

Cullowhee, North...
Level Contributor
1,077 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Favorite books about the area

Hikers Guide to the Smokies

History of Lake Fontana

Brewton, Alabama
Level Contributor
1,386 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Favorite books about the area

I am sooooo taking notes on this thread!!