We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

houses on the mountains

Which Gatlinburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
373 posts
Save Topic
houses on the mountains

This is something that I just heard and it is not meant to scare anybody but I just heard that there are so many cabins and chalets built up in the mountains that the mountains are starting to give some. A friend told me that some of the houses ceilings and walls are beginning to crack because the mountain is starting to move some. I was just wondering if anyone else has heard this. I was also wondering if there is a chance that the mountain may just give away all together and all the houses come sliding off the mountain. Maybe I am just losing it but it kind of made me nervous to think that such a thing could happen.

Prattville, Alabama
Level Contributor
937 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: houses on the mountains

That reminds me of something we heard while up that way this week. When we were on the Ober tram the other day headed up, the operator pointed out a house that had been built years ago by the....founder, I believe he said, of the Krispy Kream doughnut chain. Only 6 inches of it was built actually touching the ground. The rest is on stilts. He said he believed it is now condemned because that 6 inches is starting to separate from the ground.

north ga
Level Contributor
427 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: houses on the mountains

Building a house on a mountain never seemed like a good investment. The Smoky mountains were originally five miles high; they eroded to their present height and are now slowly eroding. Sometimes the side of a mountain will give way suddenly during a torrential downpour.

Tn
Level Contributor
1,998 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: houses on the mountains

On Hwy 32 (you do not want to go there!) there is a house that fell in the gully and a car.

Wish I was in...
Level Contributor
1,425 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: houses on the mountains

Check out this house I saw back in October in the Chalet Village area. It was for sale if anyone is interested! :) It looks like its just moments away from disaster!

http://tinyurl.com/2kk2ha

I'm sure with all of the cabins that are popping up seemingly overnight, we will hear of quite a few collapses(and lawsuits)in the next few years.

Tn
Level Contributor
1,998 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: houses on the mountains

no problem......with a parachute! LOL

Hebron, Indiana
Level Contributor
1,441 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: houses on the mountains

Now that is scary! It would be bad enough to be in that house but then they have that itty bitty little deck hanging off of there, too! Who would want to stand on that? That's crazy!

Lorain, Ohio
Level Contributor
852 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: houses on the mountains

OMG!!!!!

Is that scary looking...

that kinda makes me a little nervous to think about because our cabin that we are staying at is sort of hanging off the side of a mountain... we joked about it when we were there last year but it sounds like it could happen...

Bay City, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
Level Contributor
5,255 posts
1,278 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: houses on the mountains

We love Highway 32! An adventure, for sure.

Yep, that house looks mighty scary. Those stilts look quite flimsy.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
1,530 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: houses on the mountains

Steps need to be taken to insure that construction does not further erode the face of these mountains. Even if there was no construction, you would have slides and movement, considering these mountains once rivaled the Alps in magnitude.

I know we all enjoy our stays, as well as our lodging, but it's painful to look off in the distance at the side of a mountain and see large swatches of earth where trees once stood. When the place was being heavily logged in the early part of the last century, I'm sure there were rivers of mud just pouring down the mountainsides. Folks like Horace Kephart did their best to put a stop to it, but seeing the oncoming National Park on it way in, the lumber outfits just went at it all the more, without any hesitation or respect for nature.

In reading about the establishment of the National Park, it's really a miracle that it came about at all. There were powerful forces dead set against it. If it weren't for a select number of dedicated people like the afore mentioned Kephart, and Rockefeller along with others,...well, I just don't want to imagine what the place would look like. At the time, there were no National Parks in the Eastern U.S.

I don't wish ill will on anyone's livelyhood in the Smokies, but I'm hoping market forces and the glut of lodging in the area will severly restrict new mountainside development.

Delaware
Level Contributor
1,019 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: houses on the mountains

dawgcentral,

You don't need to apologize. Most of the people that own cabins in the Smokies feel just the same way that you do about the overdevelopment of the land. Remember that many of us bought because we started out just the way you did...loving the Smokies and vacationing there often. At least that's the reason why my husband and I bought. When I stop wanting to enjoy the Smokies several times a year, we'll sell. So we feel the same way that you do. I don't like to see mountains stripped of their beauty either. Why do we all come here? Certainly not to look at mountains stripped of all their trees.

Cindy