We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

elkmont cabins?

ky.boy
Level Contributor
593 posts
Save Topic
elkmont cabins?

Are the elkmont abandoned cabins accessed off of little river road on the way to cades cove, thought i might kill two birds with one stone and ounce you rech them can you park and walk around or is it something you would have to drive from place to place? thx ahead of time.

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
42,635 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: elkmont cabins?

No, once you reach Elkmont, it's all a "walking tour" per se. You park and walk to the old cabins.

Mentioned in this post
Elkmont Campground
Elkmont Campground
147 Reviews
Gatlinburg, TN
S.C.
Level Contributor
39 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: elkmont cabins?

There are several places to park. There are several sections to see. You can actually ride around and look at the section close to the Appalachian club. Millionare's Row you have to walk to it. It is at the beginning of the Little River trail and it is a must see section. Then you have to walk up to where the Wonderland Club and Annex was. There are several cabins up there also. You can't go in any of the buidings in Elkmont, but you can walk around them. You need to catch them soon because they are deteriorating and falling down. We were up there this past weekend. It does take along time to see them all. We walked all of it. Parked at several spots along the way.

Here is a link that I found with some detailed information about the place.

http://home.earthlink.net/~tnhiker/lifeafter50onemansperspective/id43.html

Here is a link with a detailed map.

tnhiker.smugmug.com/photos/211942421-O.jpg

Hope all this helps!

Mentioned in this post
Elkmont Campground
Elkmont Campground
147 Reviews
Gatlinburg, TN
alabama
Level Contributor
331 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: elkmont cabins?

there is also an old cemetery in elkmont...if I remember correctly,as you are driving on the road towards the cabins and little river trail,its just pass a bridge take a left on a dirt/gravel road...takes you right up to the cemetary...its very quiet and peaceful,we were the only ones there when we were there in the fall...

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
1,698 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: elkmont cabins?

Be sure to keep an eye out for the steps going up to the remains of the Wonderland Hotel. Once you pass the gravel road on the left where the old cemetery is located toward the end, you will see a couple of houses on your right. Slow down and start looking to your left up the hill. Hopefully you will see the stone steps leading up the hill where the Wonderland Hotel once stood.

Once you find the steps and stone carvings flanking the bottom of the steeps, proceed just a little further and you'll see on your left a gated road that goes up to the top of the hill. Park there, but don't block the gate or road. You can either walk up that road to get to the top, but the BEST way is to walk back to where the stone steps are located and walk up that way.

The Annex, servants quarters and some other cabins are still up there. It's worth walk, especially after climbing the steps and looking back over the valley, trying to imaging what it would have been like to stay there in it's prime.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wonderland_Hotel

Bob

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
1,698 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: elkmont cabins?

Just ignore the very first sentence. Thanks!

S.C.
Level Contributor
39 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: elkmont cabins?

There is a little road going up the hill right before the steps. We parked in between the road and the steps. We climbed up the steps on the way up the hill and walked down the road on the way back down. There was 2 trees down on the road.

Tn
Level Contributor
1,998 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: elkmont cabins?

Ok, I found the houses you can drive right by last time and I am trying to remember things on the way but I did so much driving and that was my first time to go to Elkmont so help me out here.

If I remember right, we turned left on the roa dto Elkmont then left on the road to the houses. I thought there was a gate on the left where people were walking right after we got on the road to the cabins am I wrong?

for Millionare's Row , is the Little River Trail start well marked? How far of a walk is it to the houses?

Wonderland Hotel, How far of a walk to get to it?

Thank you!

Mentioned in this post
Elkmont Campground
Elkmont Campground
147 Reviews
Gatlinburg, TN
Blackshear, Georgia
Level Contributor
170 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: elkmont cabins?

yes. I too would like any and all info on this. I've read some on it but not like the info from people here who have actually seen this.

Thanks.

9. Re: elkmont cabins?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 September 2009, 04:19