We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

offered to stay at timeshare cabin, looking to save money

pa
1 post
Save Topic
offered to stay at timeshare cabin, looking to save money

Hi,

We are coming down over easter week and trying to save as much money as possible. My mom, who lives in the area told us about staying at timeshare cabins to save money and doing the 90 min presentation. We did that in florida and it worked out great, we knew we wouldn't buy and husband is in sales so was ready for the pressured pitch!

the cost is 284.00 for 3 nights are a 2 bedroom cabin, we are given back 100 after listening to presentation.

Anyone know of other ways to stay in that are cheap? We were hoping for dollywood tickets too, but the refund will help pay for that.

We are a family of 7, so hotels are out of the question, we have to get two rooms!!!

Hattiesburg...
Level Contributor
1,179 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: offered to stay at timeshare cabin, looking to save money

Just to let you know...Easter weekend is the season opener,(The 21 st),for Dollywood, and they are closed Easter sunday and also on the 25th.Not sure about the time share cabins,I would'nt personally do that.Better safe than sorry.

sevierville TN
Level Contributor
463 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: offered to stay at timeshare cabin, looking to save money

there are quite a few people that come here and do that same thing. From what I have heard, the successful ones immediately tell the sales people that they are not interested in buying, and that they are doing it strictly for the money back. Otherwise, 90 minutes turns into 4 hours. It can be done if your husband lays down the law right away. Squeeze the people that sign you up for all you can.

Gulf Shores, AL
Level Contributor
163 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: offered to stay at timeshare cabin, looking to save money

I received an invitation to a time share resort yesterday! I will be glad to pass that info along to you. It was

www.crownparkgetaway.com

I believe it was something like $39.95 for three nights, plus they give you coupons worth $100 to be used at various attractions.

Unfortunately I've thrown away the paperwork with the details, but maybe if you go to their site you can find out more.

Linda

Atlanta
Level Contributor
39 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: offered to stay at timeshare cabin, looking to save money

I hate to be the morality police, here, and I am fully aware that timeshares are complete ripoffs and their marketing is often a scam.

Still, it would be one thing if you received a solicitation in the mail OFFERING you a hundred dollars off if you sat through a presentation. You can simply accept their offer, sit through the presenation, and decline to buy anything. They know its a number's game, and some percentage of folks will buy, though most will not. (And I have done this myself several times over the years.)

But it seems to me to be another thing altogether if you are the one to contact them, pretending to be interested in a timeshare, knowing that you have no intention of buying and are really looking for a freebie. That seems to me to be intentionally deceptive on your part.

I'm certainly not going to lose any sleep if someone rips off a time-share company, but it still seems a bit sleazy to me.

sevierville TN
Level Contributor
463 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: offered to stay at timeshare cabin, looking to save money

it doesn't really matter if they are offering it thru the mail or offering it at a welcome center or outside of a restaurant. Either way it's the same and it is being offered. They just want to get people there. The only reason that 99% of people even go thru it is just to get free stuff, even if they do it on a whim. I know that many of the OPC's get discounted tickets. You may be able to get more than $100 worth of tickets to Dollywood by getting that instead of the cash back and paying full price at Dollywood.

Tn
Level Contributor
1,998 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: offered to stay at timeshare cabin, looking to save money

GeorgiaTex has a good point!

Something else to think about is people here have reported that when they got there the cabins were not available even tho they had reservations and they were put in low cost hotels. It has been reported here also that once you tell them no they treat you very badly, why put your family threw that? If they are as bad as people say once you tell them no you might not have a room at all.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,734 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: offered to stay at timeshare cabin, looking to save money

If you are willing to spend the time to save the money then no matter how you get the offer, go for it. Heck we would not have been able to take some of the trips we have taken, or eaten at some of the restaurants if we hadn't sat through the presentations.

We have gone to a few over the years, and we did end up buying a timeshare, but not through a high pressure sales pitch. My dh found one at an auction in 06 online and paid $50 for it. That should show you how desperate some people are to get rid of them once they pay the big bucks. I was furious when he bought it thinking that we would loose our shirts for nothing! Our condo is somewhere in Virginia or North Carolina, but we have never been there. We do have to pay the yearly maintenance fee, however, we used it in Orlando in 07 and the fee was well worth the place, still being cheaper than if we had rented the condo from an agency.

My word of caution comes from my one experience with a time share offer in Gatlinburg. We were offered the low cost weekend, but they did not want to put us up in one of the places we would be buying into and that always has bothered me. Instead, we were given a hotel, very below standards. My guess is they wanted to paint the illusion that the hotels in Gatlinburg were all sub standard and that their places were the best option. I cancelled the trip because I did not want to stay in the hotel.

So like RBG says, they may offer one place but give you another.

Lets put our heads together and find ways for maggi to save money on her trip in addition to the time share idea.

Tn
Level Contributor
1,998 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: offered to stay at timeshare cabin, looking to save money

fried bolongna sandwiches at those margets, now what thread is that that lists the markets!

Dublin, Virginia
Level Contributor
947 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: offered to stay at timeshare cabin, looking to save money

I know a family that basically finances their 2 week Florida vacation every Summer by scheduling timeshares every morning and getting free tickets to Disney World, Universal Studios, etc. They usually just tell the people upfront that they are only there for the swag or they'll make a ridiculous offer...the salespeople don't want to waste their time with them and cut it short.

10. Re: offered to stay at timeshare cabin, looking to save money

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 September 2009, 01:19