We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Raw milk and fresh eggs?

New Haven...
Level Contributor
50 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Raw milk and fresh eggs?

My family will be arriving in Gatlinburg on Saturday. Since we are staying in a time share and have a full kitchen, I thought it might be worth a try to ask if anyone knows where I can get some raw milk in that area? We'd be willing to drive up to 15 or 20 miles to get some. Same goes with fresh eggs.

TIA

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,734 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Raw milk and fresh eggs?

I did a quick search, and it looks like the actual selling of raw milk in Tennessee at this point is illegal.

You might want to contact the Smoky Mountain Home Education Association. Look under their support groups for Sevier and Blount Counties. Maybe a homeschooling family in the area can help.

http://www.smhea.org/Default.aspx

Cinn, OH
Level Contributor
1,533 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Raw milk and fresh eggs?

I don't know about Tennessee, but in Ohio, you are not able to buy raw milk. My father is a dairy farmer and has people ask him for it occassionally, and it is against the law to sell it. I am sure you could find some eggs though, I would just look for signs on some rural road. Are you going to make ice cream, if so, I would just buy the cream or half and half at the store.

Great Smoky...
Level Contributor
2,019 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Raw milk and fresh eggs?

Ewwwwwwwwwwww raw milk...lol

Alabama
Level Contributor
1,940 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Raw milk and fresh eggs?

I grew up on raw milk - we just called it fresh milk. I never knew the difference until I started to school.

Maybe you better bring your own in a cooler if that's what you want to drink.

Brewton, Alabama
Level Contributor
1,386 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Raw milk and fresh eggs?

Do people really drink unpasteurized milk in this day and time? I'm with Peanut on this one!

Tn
Level Contributor
1,998 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Raw milk and fresh eggs?

I would trust unpasteurized milk from my own cow more than milk that has been handled by many people, shipped in who knows what temp, stored in who knows what temp, left out in store when someone changed mind for who knows how long and put back.

Some people eat totally raw meat to, again very safe if it is your own and you know infected animals are not coming in contact.

I remember a show about a year or so ago about a family who sells the containers and gives the milk away to get around selling the milk but of course I do not remember where it was.

Bedford, Indiana
Level Contributor
5,921 posts
303 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Raw milk and fresh eggs?

Why would you?

Ocala, Florida
Level Contributor
38 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Raw milk and fresh eggs?

I just got back from PF/Gburg. We found fresh eggs at Douglas Lakeview Stables. www.douglaslakestables.com

Cinn, OH
Level Contributor
1,533 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Raw milk and fresh eggs?

When you pasteurize milk it kills viruses and bacteria that might cause you to get tuberculosis, polio, diphtheria, strep, scarlet fever, typhoid fever, etc. Cows do not get the vaccinations for those diseases, so they could pass it off to you from their milk. Farmers, or at least the majority of farmers, do not drink their own milk, and it would be free. They buy it from the grocery just the same as we do. It is illegal.

Brewton, Alabama
Level Contributor
1,386 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Raw milk and fresh eggs?

We have chickens and we sometimes eat their eggs (depends if we want to eat eggs or have chicks).

We have cows,not the milk kind.We just like to have a few around our little farm.Being in healthcare, I would not venture to drink milk that wasn't pasteurized. People did it for yrs but I'll stick to the kind that comes from the plastic jug.