We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Caverns in the area?

Mississippi
Level Contributor
467 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Caverns in the area?

I'm considering taking a tour of one of the area caverns when I come up in June (been going to the Smokies for 20+ years and never went to one.) I know of Forbidden Caverns and Tuckaleechee Caverns. Is one better than the other, or is a cave a cave? Any tips appreciated!

Cullowhee, North...
Level Contributor
1,077 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Caverns in the area?

I have never been to Frobidenn Caverns as they are, umm, Forbidden.

We have visited Tuckaleechee about 5 times and my kids love it.

Have fun...

Mississippi
Level Contributor
467 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Caverns in the area?

Yeah, smokybob, I wondered if someone would be standing at the entrance to Forbidden Caverns saying, "no, no, no." Lol

Savannah, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg, Maggie Valley, Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
3,756 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Caverns in the area?

They are both great. At Tuckaleechee Caverns, you are permitted to touch the rock formations, but at Forbidden you can't. We were encouraged to drink the water from an underground stream that was said to be 99.9% pure. I tried it. It tasted like water to me LOL!

Aside from that, they are both interesting. We enjoyed both equally.

Cullowhee, North...
Level Contributor
1,077 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Caverns in the area?

Vicky5, they will if you dont have dough.....no payee, no caverneee

That was a good one...Vicky5 I laughed...but did not cry....If you cant touch the formations I suspect they might be in better shape???

Maybe we make a day trip and check it out this summer..

Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
Level Contributor
6,127 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Caverns in the area?

We didn't go to Forbidden, but we REALLY liked Tuckaleechee. Their "great room" was quite impressive. It's the size of several football fields, and the formations were beautiful. We enjoyed the guide and the relaxed tour. As Brad said, you can touch the formations and drink the water 99.9% pure water. The cave even has a beach. The waterfall was lovely. Tuckaleechee is easily incorporated as a side trip from Cades Cove.

I have a review of Tuckaleechee on this site if you are interested.

We are big cave fans, and this was one of our favorites!

Enjoy!

Bedford, Indiana
Level Contributor
6,114 posts
303 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Caverns in the area?

We liked Forbiden Caverns, and there is a deer and exotic animal petting zoo off to the right on your way to the caverns that is fun. You can feed some of the animals and pet some.

One should really not touch the formations in any cavern as this messes up the formation (per every cave tour I have ever taken) and I wouldn't want to patronize any caverns that allow you to do so. It is sort of like destroying nature.

7. Re: Caverns in the area?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 September 2009, 09:15