We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any MUST SEE's / DO's for the first time visitor?

Any MUST SEE's / DO's for the first time visitor?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 March 2015, 00:11
Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
40,414 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any MUST SEE's / DO's for the first time visitor?

Please take the time to visit the national parks areas, like Cades Cove, Roaring Fork, Clingmans Dome, Sugarlands Visitor Center, and soforth.

All these are great places to visit, and free!!

Grove City, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,569 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any MUST SEE's / DO's for the first time visitor?

Vicki,

I would echo Kat Cubs about the Park. Make sure that you spend as much time there as possible.

As far as the other attractions, normally I would reccomend Ripley's Aquarium of the Smokies. But, if you have been to the aquarium at Newport on the Levee, it's really not that much different. If you haven't, it's very nice.

Of course Dollywood is a great place, but don't expect King's Island. They have some great thrill rides, but it is much more laid back. There are some great mountain crafts exhibits. There are also excellant shows at Dollywood. My favorites are the Kingdom Heirs and whoever is doing the Appalachain Music at the Back Porch Theater.

My favorite places to eat in the area are Calhoun's, Smoky Mountain Brewery and Corky's. All three of these places have locations in Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg.

There is a massive outlet mall in Sevierville called Five Oaks. It has too many stores to name here. There is also a ton of local shops scattered around the area. The Arts and Crafts Loop outside of Gatlinburg has shops of many local artisans.

Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge both have great web sites. Discoverthesmokies.com is also a great place to get info about the area.

You'll probably get lots of responses, so dont' be too overwhelmed. The people on this forum are very friendly and willing to share info about their favorite place, The Great Smoky Mountains.

Cinn, OH
Level Contributor
1,486 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any MUST SEE's / DO's for the first time visitor?

Dollywood is so much different than Kings Island. There are so many shows and depending on when you go, there are festivals going on where they are demonstrating crafts, etc. Make sure you don't miss Roaring Fork and Cades Cove in the Smokies. Soon you will be hooked on the area.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,524 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any MUST SEE's / DO's for the first time visitor?

Take a hike or walk, whether short or long. If the former, there's a great inside page with many suggestions (link below). If the latter, just post a thread on the Great Smoky Mountains Forums with your group's ability level and interest. Cades Cove, Roaring Fork, and Clingman's Dome are all great sites, but there are many more areas that are just as nice and way less crowded. If you are going during a peak season be sure to visit these areas in the morning (preferably starting the loops and drive at about eight or nine). Some more off the beaten path areas near Gatlinburg are Greenbrier, Cosby, Elkmont/Tremont, Greenbrier #2 (around Metcalf Bottoms and the school house), and if you're okay with some driving the Oconaluftee/Deep Creek area.

Kristian

Bedford, Indiana
Level Contributor
5,784 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any MUST SEE's / DO's for the first time visitor?

After you make the trip down the strip to see all the shops (and sample all the fudge) try one of Auntie Anne's hot pretzel sticks to get the "sweet" out of your mouth!

The Ripley's Aquarium is fun if you have the time and are interested.

If you haven't been to a Ripley's Museum, you may want to reconsider. There are displays of very unusual things, something that doesn't hold as much interest since the internet has arrived, but it is still something you should do at least one time.

Make sure you check out your appearance in the crazy mirror.....

Bedford, Indiana
Level Contributor
5,784 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any MUST SEE's / DO's for the first time visitor?

After you make the trip down the strip to see all the shops (and sample all the fudge) try one of Auntie Anne's hot pretzel sticks to get the "sweet" out of your mouth!

The Ripley's Aquarium is fun if you have the time and are interested.

If you haven't been to a Ripley's Museum, you may want to reconsider. There are displays of very unusual things, something that doesn't hold as much interest since the internet has arrived, but it is still something you should do at least one time.

Make sure you check out your appearance in the crazy mirror.....

Cullowhee, North...
Level Contributor
1,077 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Any MUST SEE's / DO's for the first time visitor?

Hoosier2:

Frankly, I was glad it only costs us the price of my kid's school discount to get into the Ripley's museum. I honestly could not seeing pay full frieght for that place, but too each his or her own I guess.

Since travel in America is becoming so much the same with the same stores, same places to eat, same everything, I would not miss the arts and crafts section off of Glades Road.

I would take your kids to Cades Cove or on the NC side ot the Mountain Farm Museum at the Oconoluftnee Visitor Center. Even the native Cherokee stuff, not the touristy things, but the recreration of the Indian Village and culture is worth the ticket price there. My kids enjoyed that a lot.

If you had time I would make a trip over to Cataloochee Valley in GSMNP to see the elk. The Valley is gorgeous and the elk are spectacular.

The aquarium is cool and have been there a few times as well.

I like the Smoky Mountain Brewery to eat at and yes those darn pretzles with beer cheese dip.

Enjoy your trip.

Portsmouth, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,037 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Any MUST SEE's / DO's for the first time visitor?

Places to Eat that I would recommend

Calhouns Barbeque

Peddler Steakhouse

Log Cabin Pancake House

Pancake Pantry

Smoky Mountain Brewery

Texas Roadhouse

9. Re: Any MUST SEE's / DO's for the first time visitor?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 September 2009, 22:17