We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best places to go with an 8 month old and 11 yr. old

Which Gatlinburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Maryland
Level Contributor
19 posts
127 reviews
Save Topic
Best places to go with an 8 month old and 11 yr. old

My wife and I with the two kids are going to Gatlinburg on May 18th-20th what are the best places to go in the great smokey mountains as well as Gatlinburg. We have a stroller we'll be using for the little one.

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
39,133 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best places to go with an 8 month old and 11 yr. old

Well, obviously, the 8-month-old won't have much to enjoy.

However, the 11-year-old will have a ball. Spend lots of time in the national park, especially since it's free. Have him/her do a junior ranger program as they can really be fun.

Not many trails in the park are good for strollers, not even Laurel Falls trail, although it claims to be (it's paved, but still a very rough trail).

Visit Cades Cove, Roaring Fork Motor Trail, CLingmans Dome, and the Sugarland Visitor Center.

In town, there's lots of walking around to do, and perhaps a trip to the Aquarium, although it's pretty expensive.

Might want to try Dollywood, but one of you would be stuck holding the baby for all the rides, except for the train.

Cinn, OH
Level Contributor
1,446 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best places to go with an 8 month old and 11 yr. old

At Dollywood the baby would probably be lulled to sleep by the music at the shows. Depending on your baby, I always took our kids where ever we wanted to go.I think they gain "something" from where you go, even the trip there. Having said that, I know I have a GD who has not been taken out of her house much and I would dread a trip in a car with her for several hours. Enjoy your trip and take alot of pictures.

Tennessee
Level Contributor
56 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Best places to go with an 8 month old and 11 yr. old

My two boys are ten years apart, something they both enjoyed even with the little one being very young was the aquarium.

4. Re: Best places to go with an 8 month old and 11 yr. old

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 September 2009, 06:21