We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

the sinks

Atlanta
Level Contributor
46 posts
1 review
Save Topic
the sinks

I have heard alot of good and bad things about the sinks-Where are they located? Can you tube and swim there? Is it safe?

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
40,151 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: the sinks

The sinks is an area along Little River Road between Metcalf Bottoms picnic area and the Townsend Wye intersection.

If the water is high and fast, it's a pretty dangerous place to try swimming. The "hole" is deep enough to dive, but only for the very best of swimmers as the water current there is very swift.

I've been swimming there in the past, but I was young and stupid back then too.

A better spot to do tubing and swimming is at the Townsend Wye intersection instead. The water is not near as deep nor is there as much "undertoe" there.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
46 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: the sinks

okay- thanks for the info

Cullowhee, North...
Level Contributor
1,077 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: the sinks

The SInks rock...litterally and figuritively. I would not take my 7 year old there, but under normal water conditions it is a great swimming hole.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
46 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: the sinks

Sounds like I will have to check it out

thanks

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
1,698 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: the sinks

Here's a little tidbit I found on www.allthesmokies.com about The Sinks.

Located just 1.5 miles east of Metcalf Bottoms picnic area, The Sinks are a combination of hydraulic rapids and deep pools. Folklore tells of how a logging train once derailed and plunged into the Little River at this spot. It was never found as the bottom could not be reached. Thereafter, this spot was always referred to as "The Sinks."

Atlanta
Level Contributor
46 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: the sinks

very interesting!!!!!

7. Re: the sinks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 September 2009, 13:16