We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sliding rock

Roselle Park, New...
Level Contributor
2,391 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
sliding rock

how far is Pisgah national forest from Gatlinburg?

Tn
Level Contributor
1,998 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: sliding rock

This is on my to do lists. I have not researched it much yet because there is so many things in the area on my lists! And one of my grown children would get to brave on that sliding rock!

From what I have read most people like to inter from Brevard, NC. I think about 50 miles from the park but I hope someone else chimes in here who has been there.

There are some really good reviews here:

http://www.epinions.com/content_33837059716

Tn
Level Contributor
1,998 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: sliding rock

This is on my to do lists. I have not researched it much yet because there is so many things in the area on my lists! And one of my grown children would get to brave on that sliding rock!

From what I have read most people like to inter from Brevard, NC. I think about 50 miles from the park but I hope someone else chimes in here who has been there.

There are some really good reviews here:

http://www.epinions.com/content_33837059716

Tn
Level Contributor
1,998 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: sliding rock

Well, I was wondering if it was this site or the internet, or me making so many mistakes this early and going so slow!

Mason, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,364 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: sliding rock

http://www.alleneasler.com/slidingrock.html

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,734 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: sliding rock

My mom and I stopped at Sliding Rock a couple of years ago. It was a rainy, chilly day, but there were still people there. Can[t say how far it is, because that was the trip we kept getting lost and laughing hysterically! I'ts a wonder a we found civilazation again!

I know we will try this trip again when the kids are with us.

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
135 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: sliding rock

When you go take old jean shorts for sliding on the rocks. Even in the heat of summer the water is so cold it will take your breath away.

florida
Level Contributor
1,458 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: sliding rock

It is about 2 1/2 hours. Take 321 out of Gatlinburg east and get on Foothills Parkway at Cosby. Get on I-40 and go south. Get off at exit 20 in NC on highway 276. Take 276 all the way through Waynesville and continue going south. When you get to the Blue Ridge Parkway it is about 6 miles south. A more scenic way is get on BRP at Cherokee and exit it at 276.

Cullowhee, North...
Level Contributor
1,077 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: sliding rock

Technically, I-40 is an east west Interstate, but Jaded's directions are fine if you take I-40 east to exit 20 on 276. My preference would be take the parkway over as you will see mountains like no other in the eastern US in the Pisgah.

I would wear shorts or something over a bathing suit if I were a lady. The granite is smooth, but it will damage lycra. The water is about 62 and in the summer it is not that bad.

MI
Destination Expert
for Ludington
Level Contributor
1,152 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: sliding rock

We were there 3 years ago and really enjoyed ourselves. My advice is to wear tennis shoes. We saw 2 people fall climbing up to the top of the rock. One lady went down hard on her head. There is a rope to hold onto while you climb up to the top but the rock is slippery. Second piece of advice is to NOT wear your glasses down the slide. DH did not take my advice and lost his. You do land in about 8 feet of water at the bottom of the rock. Thank goodness for the lifeguards otherwise we would have had a horrible rest of our vacation. We tipped the lifeguard all the money we had that day, about $20.

He dove in and it took him a couple of tries but he did locate DH's glasses.

10. Re: sliding rock

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 September 2009, 22:16