We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is 6 nights too much?

melaniefoo
Level Contributor
64 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Is 6 nights too much?

We are staying at Elk Springs Resort for 6 nights in July (my family of 3 & sisters family of 3).

Is there enough to do in the area for 6 nights? We will be doing Dixie Stampede and going whitewater rafting.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,734 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Is 6 nights too much?

I would say 6 nights is great! You'll be surprised at how much there is to do between the national park and the surrounding towns. We usually spend our days in the park and our evenings either at the cabin playing games and relaxing, or taking in some of the sites in one of the towns.

One thing you don't read to much about on here is beautiful Douglas Lake. When we stay for a week, we spend one day on the lake. We rent a pontoon boat and enjoy a day of boating and swimming. Last time we rented a Jet Ski too. Lots of fun. It's a great place to get away from the crowds too.

There is so much to keep you busy, or so much to relax you that I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Delaware
Level Contributor
1,020 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is 6 nights too much?

Melanie,

If you're open to doing not only touristy things but also nature stuff like the whitewater rafting you're already planning to do, you'll be fine. If you look into it, you probably will find that you don't have enough time to do everything that you'd like to do.

Cindy

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,524 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is 6 nights too much?

If you're only doing touristy things it'll probably get old after a while; it all begins to look the same after a while (or from what I hear and what I've experienced of similar places like Key West I can quite easily imagine it would). With time spent on activities like rafting and sightseeing and experiencing the park, however, you can spend much more than six days. If you need any help with hikes and other activities in the park just post a thread in the Smokies forum or pm me.

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g143031-i2563-Grea…

Kristian

Portsmouth, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,037 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is 6 nights too much?

My husband and I usually stay five nights and always find plenty to do you should be fine. Have a great time!

Lorain, Ohio
Level Contributor
852 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is 6 nights too much?

you will be fine with 6 nights, there is plenty to do just read on here a little while and you will hear all kinds of great ideas...

Brewton, Alabama
Level Contributor
1,386 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is 6 nights too much?

We always stay 7 nights in the summer and catch long weekends everyother month. Can't stand to let the grass grow under my feet.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
127 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Is 6 nights too much?

I am not big into the touristy things and am much happier out in the park. I always wish I had more time!....no matter how long I am there. I love the nice relaxing nights sitting on the deck enjoying the mountain air!

Gatlinburg, TN
Level Contributor
307 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is 6 nights too much?

In my opinion, six nights is a minimum to be able to enjoy your visit here. Its intresting to see that you're staying at Elk Springs. I live just over the ridge from it and can tell you that the area is very nice as well as being an easy drive to everything here. I hope you enjoy your visit.

Savannah, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg, Maggie Valley, Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is 6 nights too much?

Smokies,

Where is Douglas Lake? It sounds like a great day, renting a pontoon boat and cruising. I can find a little info, but no directions.

Thanks!

Waynesville, Georgia
Level Contributor
183 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is 6 nights too much?

Melianiefoo,

Last summer I went to Gatlinburg on 7/5/07 and did not come home until the 16th. I felt like I still didn't have enough time and did not want to leave. Can't wait to get back this july!!!!