We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone been to the Great Smoky Mountains Heritage Center?

Mississippi
Level Contributor
467 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Anyone been to the Great Smoky Mountains Heritage Center?

Has anyone been or can anyone tell me any details about it? Thanks!

Tn
Level Contributor
1,998 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anyone been to the Great Smoky Mountains Heritage Center?

Is that the one in Townsend? I always think about it but have not stoped there yet.

Evansville, IN
Level Contributor
271 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anyone been to the Great Smoky Mountains Heritage Center?

I have been there. It is our last stop before heading into the park "our back way" on Little River Road. (last restroom) It is not like the Sugarlands welcome ctr. They have some pamplets and good info. And the last time we visited, there were some artists displaying items for sale.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,524 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anyone been to the Great Smoky Mountains Heritage Center?

No, I don't think it's the visitor center at Townsend. I haven't been to it, but from the web site it looks good: www.gsmheritagecenter.org

Tn
Level Contributor
1,998 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anyone been to the Great Smoky Mountains Heritage Center?

I should have known our wonderful helpful friends at Discover the Smokies would know!

http://www.gsmhc.com

leftcoast
Level Contributor
280 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anyone been to the Great Smoky Mountains Heritage Center?

The Townsend Visitor Center and the Heritage Center are two separate places, about 2 miles apart on 321. The Heritage Center is more like a museum, with historical exhibits, whereas the visitor center is basically an info stop with lots of brochures and some merchandise like you'd find at Sugarlands or Cades Cove.

The Heritage Center is not expensive to get in...it was $5 when I was there in 2006. Not a bad way to spend an hour or so...that is all it takes. I like that the exhibits aren't inflicted with political correctness like the ones at the Smithsonian in DC.

6. Re: Anyone been to the Great Smoky Mountains Heritage Center?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 September 2009, 10:18