We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

To plan...or not to plan..

Which Gatlinburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hattiesburg...
Level Contributor
1,179 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
To plan...or not to plan..

So what do you do?? Plan it all out to the minute ..or fly by the seat of your pants??Is your trip on a schedule,day by day? Or do you just do whatever whenever? The ?? was discussed on another thread..and we thought we'd get everybodys opinion.

( here we go MillRun )

Mississippi
Level Contributor
461 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: To plan...or not to plan..

Well, I always have a rough "list" of new things I want to do, as well as old favorites. I don't have a day-by-day itinerary, however. What I do each day depends on how I feel when I get up, what the weather is like, what the rest of the family is doing, etc. I have things in mind, but just take one day at a time.

Savannah, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg, Maggie Valley, Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
3,615 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: To plan...or not to plan..

I just go where my boss...er, wife...tells me to. I've been trained right!

Evansville, IN
Level Contributor
270 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: To plan...or not to plan..

I am new to the board. I have been surfing here for over a year. I have been going to the Smokies since I was a kid and now 3 times a year for the past 3 yrs. Just can't get enough of those mountains.

What we do is make a prelim plan of what we want to do but seems like we never stick to it. We had big plans last trip in April but the first 2 days of hiking basically blew out my calfs that I had to retire to the hot tub the next couple of days.

Linden, New Jersey
Level Contributor
298 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: To plan...or not to plan..

I usually have a few things in mind that I want to do. But I never have it planned out to the minute. It's usually decided over morning coffee as to what that day holds.

One more week and I'll be down there !! Whoo hoo !

Mason, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,364 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: To plan...or not to plan..

Exactly what Vicky5 said

"Well, I always have a rough "list" of new things I want to do, as well as old favorites. I don't have a day-by-day itinerary, however. What I do each day depends on how I feel when I get up, what the weather is like, what the rest of the family is doing, etc. I have things in mind, but just take one day at a time. "

Mason, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,364 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: To plan...or not to plan..

15 days til I arrive!

Monticello, Indiana
Level Contributor
311 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: To plan...or not to plan..

Have never planned minute by minute. But last year we had a eight days there and spent a couple just wandering aimlessly. So many times, after we had been to an area, I'd say dang! now I remember I wanted to go to such and such.

These year I'm trying a new approach. Don't want to plan minute by minute or even a days activities but...

as I read on here about a restaurant, store, attraction...

I have a "word" file divided by area -

Townsend, Wear Valley, Birds Creek Area

Glades (A&C) Area, Cosby, PF, Gat, etc.

I cut and paste your comments under

Gat restaurants, Gat attractions, or Gat shopping

I will print these out just before we leave and put in my binder by section. You will see below what I mean.

I then go to discoverthesmokies web site and print out a picture of the place and the menu if a restaurant. I then have a 3-ring binder divided by the above areas and categories that I place these in.

Now when we are in the "Glades" area I can open my binder to that section and see... Oh, I wanted to go to the _____ store or we are hungry, what restaurants do I have in here to choose from?

Hope it works as good as I hope it will. LOL!!!

Melinda

Lorain, Ohio
Level Contributor
852 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: To plan...or not to plan..

I do try to plan each day.. attractions and meals. just so that we don't forget what we wanted to do while we are there... all the little things..

we still have alot of just plain old laying around in the cabin time.. gotta have that...

Lockport, IL
Level Contributor
1,124 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: To plan...or not to plan..

We arrive in 16 days! We are leaving here on Saturday, June 7, but we are staying one night in Murfreesboro to visit some family before heading to Gatlinburg for five nights.

What I usually do is make a huge list of hiking trails, stores and restaurants we'd like to visit, and just narrow it down to what we feel like when we get down there. I never know how I'll be feeling (allergies/asthma), or if there will be a rainy day. Some days we like to go, go, go and one day we might just feel like relaxing in the cabin!

Alabama
Level Contributor
1,884 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: To plan...or not to plan..

30 days and we will be there. We sorta know what we want to do and where we want to eat but it's really more of a "fly by the seat of our pants." kinda thing. I've learned from previous trips that we usually end up doing something totally different that we had planned.