We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 days in /near Maggie Valley staying in Gatlinburg

Which Gatlinburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
ohio
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Topic
2 days in /near Maggie Valley staying in Gatlinburg

We are staying in gatlinburg but, plan to got to Ghost town in the sky 2 days. Can anyone recommend anything to do after the park closes around 6 pm. anything between Gatlinburg and Maggie valley we should not miss? Thanks In advance.

Alabama
Level Contributor
1,893 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 days in /near Maggie Valley staying in Gatlinburg

I would say take in some of the views and short walks in the Mountains. You will still have a good bit of daylight. You can also spend some time in Cherokee before heading back over the mountains.

Have you ever been to Ghost town in the Sky? It's not very big and I couldn't imagine there would be enough there for two days. Maybe I missed something when we went but we were only there a few hours.

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
135 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 days in /near Maggie Valley staying in Gatlinburg

Go see the elk at Cataloochee. They come out close to dusk. Try this website:

http://discovercataloochee.com/

Just remember there are parts of the road that is not paved and you need to be careful.

Roselle Park, New...
Level Contributor
2,354 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 days in /near Maggie Valley staying in Gatlinburg

Please leave a review of Ghost Town when you return. We are also staying in Gatlinburg in August and i wanted to take a ride to GT but not sure if it was worth it as some of the rides werent in operation on some of the reviews from last year.

Tn
Level Contributor
1,998 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 days in /near Maggie Valley staying in Gatlinburg

Blue Ridge Parkway

If you come back Hwy 40, Foothills Parkway and Greenbrier

Savannah, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg, Maggie Valley, Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
3,630 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 days in /near Maggie Valley staying in Gatlinburg

There are several good suggestions here.

Agreed that Ghost Town may not need two days, but everyone is different. I LOVE the view from the lift on the way down. And the street gunfights are very cool.

I recommend going to Cataloochee and seeing the elk. It is amazing! The road is narrow and winding, so be careful. I prefer going there at daylight so it's not dark when I come out..LOL.

And by all means, take the Blue Ridge Parkway from Maggie Valley back to Cherokee. It's beautiful.

If you have time to kill, you might go into Waynesville (it borders Maggie Valley). The historic downtown Main St. is beautiful. Brick sidewalks, decorative lamp posts, coffee shops, art galleries, etc. If nothing else, you must visit Mast General Store. Main St. is actually hwy 276, so you can't miss it.

Also, the Wheels Through Time museum in Maggie Valley is very interesting. I'm not a motorcycle enthusiast, but it was great. It's also re-locating soon, so see it whil you can.

Hope you have a great trip!

6. Re: 2 days in /near Maggie Valley staying in Gatlinburg

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 September 2009, 07:23