We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

first time visit

Missouri
Level Contributor
259 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
first time visit

We are planning to spend a week in Gatlinbug. We have never been there before. We will be coming from Missouri.

We are intersted in finding a cabin not to far away from "everything" but yet, far enough out for some quiet private family time.

It will be my husband and myself and my 3 kids ages 20, 14 and 7.

Im also looking for any advice on good things to do and is there anything to do there thats not real expensive?

Alabama
Level Contributor
1,925 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: first time visit

The first thing I would do is request a visitor's guide at www.gatlinburg.com You will get tons of information ranging from hotels, attractions to cabins. Once you get that you can contact some of the companies and see what they offer. That website is also very good for giving links to the different companies in Gatlinburg. Also go back and read many of the threads on this site as well as the reviews.

The National Park is FREE! Enjoy it! The aquarium is a must do although it isn't really cheap.

Have a great time!

Bedford, Indiana
Level Contributor
5,784 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: first time visit

There is a Smokey Mountain Knifeworks to the north of PF in Sevierville that has displays of all sorts of knives and stuffed animals (free to look), a huge flea market just off the interstate across from the Bass Pro shop (free to look), the Bass Pro Shop has a small aquarium with many game fish (free to see), near there is the minor league ball park for the Tennessee Smokies baseball team (usually about $9.00 per person for adults), they often have cheap hot dog days, Nascar go cart track near Walmart has an all day bracelet with unlimited (I think) rides.

So when you get through checking out the beautiful Smoky Mountains, head towards PF and Sevierville and check out the other things to do near the Smokys.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,524 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: first time visit

The national park is the most significant attraction in the area, and entrance is free. You can take scenic drives like Newfound Gap Road, Clingman's Dome Road, Cades Cove, or Roaring Fork; take one of the parks many day hikes varying in difficulty; drive along an unpaved back country road like Rich Mountain or Forge Creek; visit some of the park's eighty historical structures and three visitor centers; or participate in activities like fishing and horseback riding. The only downside are crowds, which can get very heavy in the summer months and on October weekends. You can avoid them by visiting during the winter, late fall, or spring; spending time in areas off the beaten path like Cosby and Greenbrier; and visiting in the earlier morning or evening (before 10 and after 6).

Kristian

Tn
Level Contributor
1,998 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: first time visit

yes, order the free stuff!

Here are some that do not come with that other stuff, you have to order by their self but have good info (except the out dated trolley map in Best Real Guide)

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60842-i150-k19995…

Portsmouth, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,037 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: first time visit

We travel to the area every year because it is our favorite place to be!! Here is a list of must do's

Gatlinburg Area

The Village Shops- Cobblestone Walk and Shops

The Marketplace- Shops

Davy Crockett Golf- Animated Golf

Hillbilly Golf- Ride up mountain to play golf

Hollywood Wax Museum-Wax Figures of Celbrities

(take a camera)

Ober Gatlinburg- Indoor Ice Skating, Arcade

Chair Lift and Alpine Slides

Smoky Mountain Winery- love the strawberry

Ripley's Aquarium

Shops along the Parkway

Pigeon Forge

Christmas Place- Largest Christmas Store

Dollywood

Splash Country- Waterpark

Outlet Stores

Shows- Comedy Barn

Go- Carts and Arcades

The Old Mill- Restaurant,Shops,Ice Cream Shop

Bakery and General Store selling jellies and

more.

Scrapbooking Store- Love the Discount One

Sevierville Area

The Apple Barn- Two Restaurants,Main Store

that sells kitchen decor all done in apples.

Apple Cider Bar purchase glass of cider and

desserts all using apples. Christmas Store

Restaurants

Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge

Smoky Mountain Brewery (both locations)

great pizza and sandwiches

Calhouns Barbeque- Best Barbeque in

area (both locations)

Log Cabin Pancake House- (Gatlinburg)

French Toast Royale (yummy)

Old Mill Restaurant in Pigeon Forge

southern style food

Texas Roadhouse in Gatlinburg- Steak

Candy Kitchen- Gatlinburg

best candy love the chocolate fudge

and carmel apples with nuts

Baskin Robbins Ice Cream- Gatlinburg

When staying in cabin be sure to take

your hair dryer most do not supply them

and if grilling out the charcoal and

a lighter.

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
118 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: first time visit

We stayed with Cabins USA in Gatlinburg. Our cabin was only a mile from downtown Gatlinburg but surrounded by trees and only one other cabin in view. They have all sizes of cabins to choose from. Hot tub on the deck, pool table, jacuzzi inside, full kitchen etc. Their website is www.cabinsusagatlinburg.com

Other than the park, our favorite activity was the Aquarium. Lots to see and inside so it was cool on hot days.

My husband did the simulated skydiving and said it was awesome. He did it twice.

Glen Carbon IL
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: first time visit

The best cabins for the price that I have found are at Cobbly Nob.com, Greenbrier Rentals. We stayed last Oct in Mountain Charm and loved it, a 3 bedroom for $125. We decided to stay in Townsend this trip at Blue Smoke Cabins, another great deal. Both places are little ways out of the hustle in peaceful areas. You just have to drive Roaring Fork Trail, Cades Cove, Clingmans Dome for all the scenery they offer. You'll enjoy the Aquarium. As for places to eat, everyone has their tastes. I'd be happy as a lark at Golden Corral, even though there is one here at home. I was not that impressed with Cherokee Grill and they get rave reviews. We would rather grill on the cabin deck and enjoy the outdoors and views and ditch the traffic of town. When is your trip? We're by St. Louis, we have a 500 mile trip to get to Townsend, but it goes pretty fast. The drive home is not so enjoyable, leaving such a beautiful place. We also rent a car thru Enterprise, they have a weekend deal, saves all that mileage on out car, $86 for 4 days isn't bad. Happy planning!

Greenwood, Indiana
Level Contributor
251 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: first time visit

Print off the coupons at

www.smokymountainnavigator.com/index.asp…

Franklin, Tennessee
Level Contributor
28 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: first time visit

We have stayed with Mountain Rentals on Ski Mountain Road for years. They are wonderful. Their website is www.mtnrents.com and you can get beautiful chalets for great prices. We met the owners when we checked in once, and they were so friendly. Because of their kindness and hospitality, we only stay with them now. A nice dinner out is the Peddler but you can find anything!

Missouri
Level Contributor
259 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: first time visit

Thanks to everyone who has replied. I am printing coupons and doing alot of research. I still havent been able to decide the perfect cabin rental yet. There are so many it is so hard to choose from. Im really excited about our vacation there though.