We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road Delays from Pigeon forge to Gatlinburg

Which Gatlinburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Gainesville, FL
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Road Delays from Pigeon forge to Gatlinburg

Yesterday my in laws said it took them an hour to go 5 miles from Pigeon Forge to Gatlinburg. They said there was road construction going on and one lane part of the way. Does anyone know if this was a one day thing or how long it's going on?? Thanks

Oneonta, Alabama
Level Contributor
942 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road Delays from Pigeon forge to Gatlinburg

Elynn,

We were there yesterday and the same thing happened to us. The road crew was paving the right lane, so most of the 5 miles was down to 1 lane. It took almost one hour to get from PF to G'burg and by the time we left G'burg (around 11:00 AM), the traffic going into G'burg was backed up to light #8 in PF, so the wait time was probably longer by then.

I think I read somewhere that the work is only being done on weekdays, but it certainly slows down your plans if you are traveling into G'burg.

We would have gone the back way through the Arts and Crafts Loop if I would have realized the traffic was moving so slowly. I knew there was work being done, but I didn't expect traffic to go that slow.

Lisa

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
39,759 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road Delays from Pigeon forge to Gatlinburg

The paving is going to be happening Mon-Thurs through the end of June at least, and possibly into July if they don't get the paving done.

Fri/Sat/Sun they won't be paving.

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
39,759 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road Delays from Pigeon forge to Gatlinburg

Here's the official post from the NPS:

Great Smoky Mountains National Park has advised that Charles Blalock and Sons Construction Inc has begun paving and milling operations on the Gatlinburg-Pigeon Forge Spur (U.S. 441).

From now through June 27 motorists can expect to find single-lane closures in each direction during

daylight hours each weekday, but no closures will occur on weekends from Friday noon until Monday morning.

Great Smoky Mountains National Park's Chief of Facility Management, Alan Sumeriski, said, "We regret having to impose these partial closures

during the summer months, but cannot do paving during the winter. We are asking the public to observe the posted speed limits in the work area, and

to merge early to minimize delays."

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
95 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road Delays from Pigeon forge to Gatlinburg

Everyone keeps referring to the Arts and Crafts Loop. Where is that? Is it in Gatlingburg or Pigeon Forge?

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
39,759 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Road Delays from Pigeon forge to Gatlinburg

The Arts & Crafts Loop is located outside the downtown Gatlinburg area up Hwy 321.

Turn onto Hwy 321 at traffic light #3 from the parkway, and go up to traffic light 3A (Glades Rd) and turn left here. This will put you in the Arts & Crafts Loop area.

Florida
Level Contributor
3,917 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Road Delays from Pigeon forge to Gatlinburg

We took the Gatlinburg bypass and went right through. It takes you to the beginning of the National Park. You can just turn around and go back into Gatlinburg the other way. :-)

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
95 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Road Delays from Pigeon forge to Gatlinburg

So if we were coming from NC via 321 and wanted to bypass Gatlinburg to get to Pigeon Forge, would we take Glades Road? Is it obvious where to turn and how to get there?

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
39,759 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Road Delays from Pigeon forge to Gatlinburg

No, if you are coming from NC on Hwy 321 from I-40 (meaning you are heading west on Hwy 321), to get to P.F., you need to take Buckhorn Road.

If you go as far as Glades Road this way, you've come too far.

Appleton, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
995 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Road Delays from Pigeon forge to Gatlinburg

So would you take Buckhorn until it turned into Birds Creek Rd and follow that until you turn left on to Upper Middle Creek Rd and that would take you in past Dollywood and to light #8 in Pigeon Forge?

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
39,759 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Road Delays from Pigeon forge to Gatlinburg

Irongrl,

That's exactly correct!!

Take Buckhorn, which turns into Bird Creek, then turn onto Upper Middle Creek, which runs into Dollywood Lane.

Now, normally without road construction on the parkway, this would not be a recommended route, but considering the delays being experienced, it may actually save time.