We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report 6-8 through 6-14

Orange, Texas
Level Contributor
96 posts
Save Topic
Trip report 6-8 through 6-14

6-8: Arrived at Sterling Springs Resort around 2:00pm. Since nobody had stayed there for about a week they let us check in early. After scoping out the cabin and gazing at the view from our deck for an hour we headed to Applewood Farms for dinner. The apple fritters are amazing and so was the meal. Went right to a table without waiting (we NEVER had to wait for a seat the entire week). After dinner we headed over the Magic Beyond Belief. I highly reccomend this show. We loved it. How'd they do that????. Where did he go?? Where did she come from?? You ask yourself these questions all night.

We returned to the cabin the get a good nights rest. The cabins are brand new and they are still working on some of them. It's about a 10 miute ride to town. You can actually see the town from the deck of our cabin. Especially night with the city lights.

6-9: Eat breakfast in the cabing and headed over to Walden Creek Riding Stables for some horseback riding. We took the hour tour and it was very nice. Again, no wating. We were the only people in the group. Even my 12 year old son enjoyed it which is strange because he doesn't enjoy anything unless it is hooked to a controller and tv..lol

Went into Gatlinburg and rode the Sky lift (you guessed it, no waiting). This was really nice. Hung out at the top for awhile and came back down. Me and my son took in Ripleys Believe it or not. We had been to one before but it wasn't near this big.

Back to the cabin for lunch and relaxation. our dinner was at Dixie Stampede and that was alot of fun. The south won the competition this night (yeah).

6-10: Headed to Cades Cove around 8:00. It was almost like we had to whole park to ourselves that morning. Got out, checked out the cabins, spotted a whittail buck (in velvet( feeding right next to a parking area. He could care less that we were there. He was only 20 feet away. Got some good video and pics. We saw some cars but traffic was very light. We didn't see and bears but I did almost hit a wild turkey crossing the road. Had a picnic lunch at the visitors center. Finished up the loop and went back to GB. Dinner at the Cherokee Grill. It was very good. Headed to Sugarlans visotors center and took a trollry to Elkmont to watch the Synchronious fireflies. What a sight. We only got to watch them for about 30 mimutes bwecause it didn't get dark until almost 10:00 and that last trolley pick up was at 11:00 to take you back to the visitors center. It looked like christmas in the woods.

6-11: Headed to Dollywood Splash Country (tickets courtesy of the Resort because the resort pool wasn't completed yet). It was fairly crowded but managable. Grilled burgers at the cabing for dinner and went to the Comedy Barn. That was great. The juggler was awesome....

6:12: Roaring Fork Loop in the morning. Hiked to Grotto Falls. Even thouhg it was 93 outside and 3 mile round trip, I never saw a bead of sweat. Of course, you are shaded the whole way but it was really nice. Not too hard, just takes awhile. We had planned on doing Clingmans Dome after that but after the Grotto hike, the group was kind of spent, and the brakes were smoking, so we decide to skip the dome :(. I would have gone but I was outvoted.

Diiner at The Old Mill Restraunt..YUMMY!!. We actually had to wait 15 minutes for seats but this place was very popular.

6-13: Breakfast at Applewood Farms (again). Dinner here was so good we had to try breakfast. It was also very good. Spent the day shopping in the shops and just hanging out. We had dinner at Bullfish Grill. This was very good as well. I had been eyeing this place all week and wasn't on our list of places to eat but I'm glad we decided to go.

6-14: Packed up, checked out, and headed home :(.

2215 miles on the trip but would turn around and go back tomorrow....

Hope you enjoyed reading the post and can't wait to go back!!

Gatlinburg, TN
Level Contributor
307 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report 6-8 through 6-14

I'm very plesead to hear that you enjoyed your first visit to the Smokies so much. Please do come back & visit again soon. I think that you see why such a large percentage of the people that come here are return visitors.

kentucky
Level Contributor
338 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip report 6-8 through 6-14

Glad you had a great trip! Looks like you can add yourself to the list of people addicted to the Smokies! :)

Orange, Texas
Level Contributor
96 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip report 6-8 through 6-14

I think so. The funny thing is, I knew I was going to be addicted but I went anyway......lol

Linden, New Jersey
Level Contributor
298 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip report 6-8 through 6-14

Glad you enjoyed your trip so much. I was down there the week before you and really enjoyed it. Maybe next time you can try it in the fall--really beautiful then. And the weather is no where near as hot !

alabama
Level Contributor
331 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip report 6-8 through 6-14

I really enjoyed your trip report,sounds like a very good time..

Glen Carbon IL
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip report 6-8 through 6-14

Loved your report. I thought I lived the furthest away. Our roundtrip is 1000. Glad you enjoyed your trip! Wasn't it beautiful?

Orange, Texas
Level Contributor
96 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip report 6-8 through 6-14

Mad,

We would love to visit during the fall but with ut so far away for us and kids in school, it would be hard to fit it in but it would be great. I was thinking maybe Thanksgiving week since the kids are out of school but it would be too cold for my wife and I'm sure most of the leaves would have fallen off by then.

Orange, Texas
Level Contributor
96 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip report 6-8 through 6-14

I have uploaded a few pics if anyone is interested.

Tn
Level Contributor
1,998 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip report 6-8 through 6-14

So glad you had a good trip! It takes a day or 2 or 3 to get the pictures approved. Waiting to see them! Thank you!

Ohio
Level Contributor
120 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip report 6-8 through 6-14

Titan, I've been looking forward to your trip report as we are staying in the same cabin as you "The View" in October. I was hoping you could give me some additional information regarding the cabin/resort.

How close are the other cabins to "The View"? Is the view as spectacular as it looks in the pics? Do you look down on other cabins? I'm also wondering if there was a door that could be closed so little ones couldn't go/tumble downstairs. We're bringing a gate but we'd like to be prepared if there's no doorway. Was there anything that you needed that wasn't provided in the cabin? Should we bring extra toilet paper, dish soap, paper towels etc? I know you didn't get to use the pool :-( Did they have any other ammentities? Overall, how did you feel about the resort. I'd love to hear your opinions! Hope you don't mind all the questions!

It sounds like you had a wonderful trip. Glad you had such a good time!