We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just got back!

Alabama
Level Contributor
1,935 posts
130 reviews
Save Topic
Just got back!

We just got home a little bit ago. Had a pretty good time.

I'll post a detailed report later on but for now I'll say that the crowds have really picked up, or seems that way. The sidewalks were really crowded.

Best meal of the trip was BEST ITALIAN and the HAMPTON INN was fantastic. We will probably stay there from now on. It was quiet, cool and the beds are TO DIE FOR. Just needs additional pillows.

Saw at least 1 bear every day we were there(except the day we arrived.) Saw idiots chasing bears every day we saw bears.

IT IS HOT in town, I would recommend staying up in the mountains if at all possible during the day.

Anyway, for you folks heading up there - ENJOY, and take lots of cool drinks.

Glen Carbon IL
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just got back!

Looking forward to your report. Will you have pictures?

Alabama
Level Contributor
1,935 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just got back!

I will have some pictures but none of the bears. I REFUSE to chase the poor things just to get a picture. Well, I might have one picture but it's not at ALL close up. I didn't get to see any animals while hiking. I turned my ankle over first thing and I nursed a swollen foot most all week so not much hiking or walking this trip.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
1,698 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just got back!

Hi VeeBee66,

OUCH! Sounds like my trip last fall. I'm not a hiker but I wanted to take the short Elkmont Trail. Somehow I stepped wrong and strained my back and it hurt the whole trip in Gatlinburg. It even hurt while trying to sleep at the hotel each night. It was fine by the time I got home. :) Oh well. Looking forward to your detailed report. Thanks!

Bob

Tn
Level Contributor
1,998 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just got back!

Where were the bears?

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
373 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Just got back!

I was there last year and went through Cades Cove and saw about 8 bears . I kept my distance from them but there were some people that were getting out of their cars and climbing up the banks to try to get a pic. It was just crazy. I am surprised that one of the bears did not turn on them and try to attack them. People are just plain stupid.

Alabama
Level Contributor
1,935 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just got back!

Monday we saw 2 bears at Cades Cove. One during the morning out in a field and one at sunset at the edge of the woods and people went in the woods to take it's picture and ran the poor thing out the other side in front of some cars. I even saw what looked to be a grandma with a little girl. I couldn't believe she took that little girl with her.

Tuesday we saw a bear near the Grotto Falls parking lot. We did a drive through RF before breakfast.

Wednesday we saw a BIG One in Cades Cove along the wood line.

Thursday Morning on our way out of town we were headed down Little River Road to drive through the cove once more on our way home. At the first overlook past Sugarlands there was another rather large bear that poked his head up. We were alone on the road so Hubby stopped the car and we just sat there and watched. He finally ran across the road behind us and up into the woods. It was fairly quick so I didn't even get my camera picked up before he disappeared into the woods.

Hebron, Indiana
Level Contributor
1,448 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just got back!

Looking forward to your trip report, VeeBee. Glad you had a nice time but so sorry about your ankle. Been there, done that...I fell in a hole and sprained my ankle in Cripple Creek , Colorado and could barely walk and then I had to drive back down the mountains to Colorado Springs and the ankle I twisted was my driving foot..that wasn't very fun. I was already scared to drive on the winding road down but being in pain didn't help either.

You're so lucky that you got to see bears!!! I don't want to see them TOO close though...from the car at a distance will be fine. lol

You are right about the beds at the Hampton Inn...they are great! First time I didn't wake up with a backache from a hotel bed. I highly reccommend the Hampton Inn. Did you get a creekside room? I did and it was so peaceful sitting on the balcony.

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
731 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just got back!

I'm so jealous!! We didn't see any bears. :( I actually have not seen a bear here since I was a little girl... we saw a mama and two cubs then. I can just imagine how ignorant people act around wild animals. My Dad says people were just as stupid backs in the '70's - he remembers a woman taking a picture of a bear while her three year old stood eating a cookie between her and the bear. I know when we saw our bears, my Dad literally chucked my sister and I into the car.

9. Re: Just got back!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2009, 10:18