We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just returned, watch parking scams.

London,KY
4 posts
Save Topic
Just returned, watch parking scams.

Never going back.Vacation ruined due to parking scam in Gatlinburg. No one at pay box where it says pay here. Posted parade parking $15, but noone there to collect money and slot in box to place money was closed off. No one in office, walked next door, came back 5 minutes later, with envelope stuck on windshield, stating owe $125 city ordinance. (private lot)Went inside, guy sitting in dark, offered $15 cause noone was there to pay and box for envelopes closed up. Wouldnt take it, was a complete *ss. Car got booted, called the cops, but all they did was state ordinacne if you leave lot, they can boot your car and collect $125. Policeman completed a property report, because we didint know car was booted so backed up, owner claims broke boot, said cost $1900, but we could go if paid $1500.

Extortion, Extortion, Extortion. Did not pay $1500, officer let us go said filing police report and sending us info in Mail. Never going back.

Athens, Georgia
Level Contributor
2,857 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just returned, watch parking scams.

Oh my gosh this is awful. This is one of the reasons we like to stay in town so we don't have to pay to park I think that is a rip off anyways.

watseka illinois
Level Contributor
133 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just returned, watch parking scams.

can you tell us what parkignlot this was at so we dont park there or get the same as you and very sorry about your trip wish it would have gone better

Gatlinburg...
Level Contributor
241 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Just returned, watch parking scams.

Yes, this is bad. The city did pass a new law that went into effect at midnight on the 4th that caps the boot removal fee at $25.00, but a little late for you.

Gatlinburg, TN
Level Contributor
307 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just returned, watch parking scams.

You may wish to contact The Mountain Press or one of the Knoxville TV stations on this subject. It may help you out of a bad situation.

Appleton, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,088 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just returned, watch parking scams.

I remember someone else posting about this same problem last year. Here is that link:

http://tinyurl.com/6kq78v

I guess I would complain to the Chamber of Commerce, the State of Tennessee and the Better Business Bureau.

Rossville, Ga
Level Contributor
474 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just returned, watch parking scams.

Please post the name and location of this lot. Also, please report this to the BBB and local Govt. offices, City Manager & Mayor. I would try and find out who owns the lot where this happened. Keep us updated as to what happens.

Bedford, Indiana
Level Contributor
5,827 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just returned, watch parking scams.

Bad deal. Another reason we stay in PF.

USA
Level Contributor
2,214 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just returned, watch parking scams.

You should write the Mountain Press (www.themountainpress.com) about this.

Gatlinburg wants your money, but they understand that their business depends on return business. They are pretty good about trying to stop scams as evidenced by the new law.

Which parking lot was it?

Prattville, Alabama
Level Contributor
938 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Just returned, watch parking scams.

I hate this happened to you. This is the reason I say Gatlinburg when people ask which town should they stay in. You can park at your hotel and walk around Gatlinburg. Then when you go to Pigeon Forge, you can pretty much park at any store, restaurant, etc there because they all have their own parking lots.

Alabama
Level Contributor
1,940 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Just returned, watch parking scams.

I hope the OP comes back and tells us the lot.

I usually stay at a hotel downtown just so we don't have to worry about parking.

Parking scams are everywhere. A month or so ago there was an event in downtown B'ham and patrons paid to park in a lot, there was a person there collecting money and all. The problem was the lot was private and the person letting people park there and taking their money was not the owner of the lot NOR did he have permission from the owner to allow people to park there.

The owner came along after the lot was full and had all the vehicles towed.

For what it's worth, the price for parking in Gatlinburg is WAY TO HIGH! $8-$10 for all day may not be bad but you have to pay that to park in one of those lots even if you are only going to be there for an hour or so. There's got to be a better way.