We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weight Limit for horseback riding

Virginia
2 posts
Save Topic
Weight Limit for horseback riding

I want to go riding really bad, but my loving husband is like 250 lbs. Do they really weigh you? Or are there other stables with higher weight limits

Kentucky
Level Contributor
46 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Weight Limit for horseback riding

We rode with

Smokey Mountain Stables. The weight limit was 225. My friend went to the same stables 2 weeks ago. They weighed her husband. He was 224. So he just made it. I'm not sure about any other stables. Hopefully someone else will know. Don't go to Walden Creek Stables. We drove by there to check them out and you could see the ribs on the horses. They were so skinny. Good luck and have fun.

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
41,432 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weight Limit for horseback riding

Yes, they are usually very strict on the weight and if you look "borderline" they will weigh you.

250 lbs is way too heavy for any of the horses to handle, especially on the mountain trails.

Tn
Level Contributor
1,998 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weight Limit for horseback riding

When I was growing up out in the country there were many people over 250 pounds riding horses, but it was not in the mountains.

Dry Prong, Louisiana
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Weight Limit for horseback riding

We have used Cades Cove Riding Stables several times. They have great employees and very healthy horses. Last year a group had just left out when we arrived. The woman at the registration said they had been slow that day and did not make us wait for more people to show up before allowing us to ride. It was great having just four people and being able to ask the guide all the questions you wanted.

My husband is very stout and usually weights a little over 250lbs. They never ask how much he weights. A couple of years ago we stopped in at Sugarlands Stables to check it out. When we drove up I felt sorry for the horses because they look small and poorly. My husband was looking around while asked about rates and the woman asked how many and I told her three of us. She then pointed to my husband and said, “We weigh everybody”. I thanked her for her time and we left. The next morning we went to Cades Cove and had a wonderful ride!!! I asked the guide about the weight issue and he said that if there horses show any signs of weight lose or fatigue they are put in the pastures to gain weight and rest to assure they stay healthy.

Tn
Level Contributor
1,998 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weight Limit for horseback riding

Well I have been wondering abou this for a while so I finly researched a little.

It looks like most people say it depends on how big the horse is.

The ones at Cades Cove look beter than a couple years ago. They use to have a couple that were really sick looking but they might have been brought there to get healthier.(I did not see them being used) I felt so sorry for them. I wanted to call someone but did not know who to call. Now that I think about it I should have talked to the people there to see if they were brought there sick.

Rossville, Ga
Level Contributor
474 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weight Limit for horseback riding

If I went to any place where the animals looked thin or not taken care of--- I would not leave without reporting it to the city, the ASPCA and probably PETA (just to get things stirred up). I can't handle the thoughts of animals not being cared for...

7. Re: Weight Limit for horseback riding

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2009, 18:18