We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is sunrise at Clingmans Dome worth effort/picture

Chicago
Level Contributor
2,004 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Is sunrise at Clingmans Dome worth effort/picture

Thinking about waking up early to get the picture as the sun just rises over the horizon. Read about it in someone's trip report.

I'd have to leave around...what...4am?, 4:30am? from Gatlinburg in order to get there ahead of time.

Planning to do this only once on Aug 10,11,or 12 - which ever day has a sunny morning.

Thanks.

Chillicothe, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Sandusky
Level Contributor
3,508 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is sunrise at Clingmans Dome worth effort/picture

i did this a few years ago. it was beautiful. i left our cabin up on Wiley Oakley at 4:30 am, and just barely made it up to the top in time to see the sunrise. i got some great shots (i didn't have a digital camera then, so i can't show them to you).

try to get there early enough and leave yourself time to go up the mountain to the observation dome itself. when i was there, so were a lot of foreign tourists, but they all stayed in the parking lot to take pictures.

just watch the weather channel the night before, they'll list sunrise time, and aim to get there 20 minutes before hand. take some breakfast food with you and have a mountaintop picnic breakfast!

Glen Carbon IL
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is sunrise at Clingmans Dome worth effort/picture

I haven't been there at sunrise yet, either, but, I definately want to after seeing Redeemedbygrace's photos. Redeemed, post those photos again, they're awesome! It would be worth losing a few hours sleep for such an occurance. Just have to hope for a clear morning.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
296 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Is sunrise at Clingmans Dome worth effort/picture

Ok - so havent been for sunrise (I'll enjoy everyones pics) but lemme tell you Clingmans is worth the trip period! The hike is a - PAIN IN THE shut your mouth - but its totally worth it. Its a gorgeous view and you can see for miles and miles and miles and miles!!!! If not only once - do it! My DH swore he will never do that hike again but I think one day I may be able to get him to do it! Ohhhh and the drive there? Its a long one so prepare enough time!

Chicago
Level Contributor
2,004 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is sunrise at Clingmans Dome worth effort/picture

2 more days of work then we are on a long awaited vacation. woooo hoooo. I'll post my pictures when we come back. Thanks all!

Tn
Level Contributor
1,998 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is sunrise at Clingmans Dome worth effort/picture

These are from the parking lot (I am not able to go to the top of hike any more but the only time I did it was to smoky to see anything)

travel.webshots.com/slideshow/561436573EwJjNT

I left Gatlinburg around 4am but this was the end of Oct. I usually allow at least a hour from Gatlinburg. Driving the dark foggy road can take a while.

I think it is worth it and will gladly do it again! I do want to do the Cherohala at sunrise to! There are many places I want to see at sunrise. It really is unreal. I am not a morning person but when in the mountains I am because it is so beautiful. You can not drive Cades Cove at sunrise but you can just a short time after and it is 10 times more beautiful than normal!http://good-times.webshots.com/slideshow/561421208lUvXeN

Tn
Level Contributor
1,998 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is sunrise at Clingmans Dome worth effort/picture

I think firefightersgirl has some even more beautiful than mine! (where is she?)

If you do a search on www.webshots.com you will see many with better cameras than mine. I have got 2 new camers since I took those but I still have not give in to a SLR camera. (It is to much work to get out all the stuff all the time and change lens etc.)

I thank God for the beautiful pictures other people get with them!

Tn
Level Contributor
1,998 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is sunrise at Clingmans Dome worth effort/picture

Forgot to mention. It is COLD up there!

I take coat, scarf, and gloves no matter what time of year it is!

8. Re: Is sunrise at Clingmans Dome worth effort/picture

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2009, 07:23