We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

OberGatlinburg reception

O'Fallon, Missouri
Level Contributor
70 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
OberGatlinburg reception

I am getting married 10/25/08 at the wedding chapel at the preserve. We are then driving down that mountain (with 40 guests) to GB to take the tram to the top of Obergatlinburg, where they are hosting my reception/luncheon. They have shown us a lovely menu,beautiful views, great food choices, champagne,etc..however, they also told me that they recently started doing receptions. I admit I am a bit nervous about it, but they have been so wonderful so far.so..has anyone been to a nice sit down lunch/reception there ? if so, how was it ?

and..does anyone have any idea how long the drive from the chapel to the parking lot at Ober will take ? The lady at Ober said it could take quite awhile due to the busy time of year, and that she would give us directions to take a different route..through Townsend maybe ? can't recall..

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,734 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: OberGatlinburg reception

I suspect that the route you will be given to avoid the traffic would not be through Townsend, but through the park.

This is how I would go:

Down the mountain from the Preserve: turn left onto Wears Valley Road/321

Take to Lyons Springs Road and turn right.

Lyons Springs becomes Little Greenbrier Road when you enter the park. The road will take you into the Metalf Bottoms picnic area (about 2.5 miles).

At the end of the road you will turn left onto 73/Little River Road. This will be a beautiful drive in the fall, and you will have lots of cars enjoying the scenery, but nothing like driving through the towns.

73 will end on Newfound Gap Road/441. Turn left and head into Gatlinburg. The total mileage on 73 to Gatlinburg is about 12.5 miles.

When you enter town, you will be at traffic light #10. The tram will be ahead on your left, just before light #9.

Tn
Level Contributor
1,998 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: OberGatlinburg reception

where can all those people park?

Great Smoky...
Level Contributor
2,019 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: OberGatlinburg reception

OMG you may have to rent a bus lol...that sounds SOOOOOOOOOOO romantic!!!

Chillicothe, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Sandusky
Level Contributor
3,523 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: OberGatlinburg reception

we have parked at the parking garage next to TGIFridays when going up in the tram.

MO
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: OberGatlinburg reception

Thanks for the directions..could be a big timesaver. And now I recall she did say to go thu the park, so I'm glad to hear that will be a pretty drive for our guests also.We have told guests to ride together due to parking at the Chapel & GB.Thanks again!

Sevierville
Level Contributor
1 post
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: OberGatlinburg reception

Have you considered having your reception at The Barn Event Center in Townsend. They have a great website and is only 15 min. from the chapel. They are on the quiet side of the mountain and is easily accessible. I would really think about looking into this place. Ski Mountain road is like Mr. Toad's Wild Ride when it is just one person driving up let alone a huge party.

7. Re: OberGatlinburg reception

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2009, 18:17