We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

do you drive in "2nd" or ride the brake coming down the park

Chicago
Level Contributor
2,004 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
do you drive in "2nd" or ride the brake coming down the park

Drove through the park Saturday coming from Florida. Soon we were going downhill and driving in "D" was too fast. Put our automatic in 2nd and drove all the way to GB in 2nd.

Anyone ever had brake failure? Was worried about it.

Mo
Level Contributor
85 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: do you drive in "2nd" or ride the brake coming down the park

Yes, 2nd gear going down is the way to come down. I have seen many flat landers coming down with the brakes so hot they catch on fire. I once saw a Dodge Mini van burn to the ground by the Chiminey Picnic area, due to the brakes caught fire. You did the right thing.

Rossville, Ga
Level Contributor
474 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: do you drive in "2nd" or ride the brake coming down the park

2nd gear- you can always smell the breaks burning from other cars...

Tn
Level Contributor
1,998 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: do you drive in "2nd" or ride the brake coming down the park

The first time I went the breaks on the van we were in got stuck and were burning before we even got to Gatlinburg!

2nd save the brakes and my knees!

Chicago
Level Contributor
2,004 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: do you drive in "2nd" or ride the brake coming down the park

Ok, Thanks. Was a little worried throwing it in 2nd at about 30mph - never did that before. The cars behind me kinda made me feel I was driving too slow. Used a pullout once. Clingmans in the morning then we go home.

Bedford, Indiana
Level Contributor
5,798 posts
294 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: do you drive in "2nd" or ride the brake coming down the park

We use a lower gear and the brakes as necessary. On our honeymoon trip, we ended up wearing out (probably were close anyway) our car brakes between SC, NC and the Smokies.

Savannah, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg, Maggie Valley, Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
3,705 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: do you drive in "2nd" or ride the brake coming down the park

Oh yeah, second for sure, and sometimes first if the slpoe is really steep (though I never needed that in the park). Bump the brakes as needed to control the speed, but not too much!

I can't tell you the number of car brakes I've smelled burning up while we we snow tubing at Tony's Tube World in Maggie Valley. People coming down the mountian from Cherokee entering Maggie, riding the brakes. If I were a mechanic, I'd open a brake shop right there.

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
40,723 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: do you drive in "2nd" or ride the brake coming down the park

We always use 2nd gear or even 1st gear along Roaring Fork, and we drive in the mountains all the time.

Never ride your brakes down the mountain roads.

Indiana
Level Contributor
180 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: do you drive in "2nd" or ride the brake coming down the park

Hi Suburbanite,

Thanks for the question! Good tip to know-what area were you in when 2nd is the way to go. My family are doing the drive from Indiana to Disney. Any other tips?? OR any other areas other than the smokies that the roads are trouble for flat roaders?

Bedford, Indiana
Level Contributor
5,798 posts
294 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: do you drive in "2nd" or ride the brake coming down the park

Never?

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,524 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: do you drive in "2nd" or ride the brake coming down the park

@ Ears5- Yes. Any time you're going down for a loong ways, you want to put the car in a lower gear so you won't burn out. The Cherohala Skyway (a must for you, probably, and then you could stop in Chattanooga, too) involves a lower gear if I remember correctly.