We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

road changes?

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
32 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
road changes?

I haven't been to Gatlinburg in a long while and I heard that all the routes have changed coming in from I 40 from knoxville. We usually took exit 407 and then followed the road into Seiverville and straight in from there. Anyone know anything about this?

Linden, New Jersey
Level Contributor
298 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: road changes?

lairehs: the only changes that I know of is the I-40 closure at Knoxville. They have it closed for a couple of exits until June of 2009. You can still go that way, you just have to take the I-640 bypass around Knoxville. You can still come into Sevierville, Pigeon Forge, Gatlinburg off the 407 exit.

The detour doesn't really add anything to the drive time, maybe a couple of minutes if traffic is heavy. Hope that helps you.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
32 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: road changes?

thank you for the help. My husband doesn't have the best "sense of direction" and I want this trip to be relaxing for all of us!! :)

Linden, New Jersey
Level Contributor
298 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: road changes?

You are so welcome ! The detour is well posted, miles before you get to it. I have driven on it 3 times this year and it was not bad at all. Traffic moves pretty quickly. It is 3 lanes wide and since you would be going the whole detour, I would just stay in the middle lane. There are get-on's and exits so it can get a bit congested in spots. It can be a bit heavy traffic wise at rush hour, but like I said, it moves pretty quickly.

Have a great trip and have fun !

Tn
Level Contributor
1,998 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: road changes?

Some Pigeon Forge and Sevierville books and sites are promoting "new roads"like this site:http://www.pigeonforge.com/areainfo/travel/

Tn
Level Contributor
1,998 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: road changes?

This explains it better:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g55270-s301/Pigeon-Fo…

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
32 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: road changes?

Thanks everyone for your help. the websites helped! I have printed the info out and now feel more confident. I appreciate everyones help!

7. Re: road changes?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2009, 01:16