We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How long does it take to hike 900 miles?

leftcoast
Level Contributor
280 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
How long does it take to hike 900 miles?

How many total miles of the GSMNP trails have you hiked? I've probably done about 200...but I really haven't kept exact track. Since I live far away and sometimes don't get to the Park every year, the miles don't really pile up quickly.

One of the members of this site, SmokyScout, is hiking all 900 miles of trails in Great Smoky Mountains National Park in one year as a fundraiser to provide assistance to girls in North Carolina to discover the great outdoors. You can follow her progress at SmokyScout's website. I've made a $50 donation to her cause - and I challenge you all to donate too. Many of our kids today lack a connection to the natural world - and you can help reverse that trend. Your donation will help fund camp scholarships, backpacking equipment, hiking groups, and the chance to help more girls explore great spots like the Smokies.

Here is her site: http://smokyscout.blogspot.com/

Rossville, Ga
Level Contributor
474 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How long does it take to hike 900 miles?

This is very informative! Thanks so much for the information. What a great idea!!!

Chillicothe, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Sandusky
Level Contributor
3,534 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How long does it take to hike 900 miles?

very cool! i can't beleive she's hiking all of the trails, and for such a great cause!

oh yeah, and i've hiked... about 12 miles. :-D

Cullowhee, North...
Level Contributor
1,077 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: How long does it take to hike 900 miles?

I have hiked maybe 500 miles in the park. I use to keep track, but we pick and choose over time.

I may check out her blogspot and donate myself. I have a vibrant 12 year old daughter who is keen on the outdoors. It is ashame that more folks do not expose their kids to the outdoors, camping, backpacking, paddling and so forth. I admire Smokyscout for doing this.

Good luck Smokyscout and if you read this, I would be happy to assist you on the NC side if you need a shuttle or something. Send me a PM....

Louisville
Level Contributor
492 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: How long does it take to hike 900 miles?

I just posted an interview with Smoky Scout on my blog this morning:

…blogspot.com/2008/09/hiking-them-all-for-gi…

Jeff

leftcoast
Level Contributor
280 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How long does it take to hike 900 miles?

Nice interview Jeff.

6. Re: How long does it take to hike 900 miles?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2009, 04:17