We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2008 Fall Color Progression has started!

Tn
Level Contributor
1,998 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
2008 Fall Color Progression has started!

discoverpigeonforgecabins.com/fc2008/fall_co…

Thank you discover the smokies.com!

Cullowhee, North...
Level Contributor
1,077 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: 2008 Fall Color Progression has started!

This is likely due to the drought and stress on the trees and not from "fall" itself. Some ridges you can see hardwoods that are likely dieing from the lack of water.

Evansville, IN
Level Contributor
271 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2008 Fall Color Progression has started!

Love this site. Check it daily before our Oct trip to check the colors. I am hoping for beautiful colors the last week in Oct.

Hattiesburg...
Level Contributor
1,181 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2008 Fall Color Progression has started!

How is it usually around Thanksgiving?? Any color left...bare tree's??Trying to get hubby up there then for his first time and would hate for it to be all bare.

Tn
Level Contributor
1,998 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2008 Fall Color Progression has started!

I have not been there that late in Nov. but at the lower elevations there might still be some beautiful colors.

I tried to find pictures for you but have not yet. Here are some really beautiful ones in Nov. You will really really really want to go if you look at these! (The last one is upsetting, someone holding a bear in place for a picture.)

Tn
Level Contributor
1,998 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2008 Fall Color Progression has started!

opps here is link:

http://landolove.com/smokymountains/index.htm

Evansville, IN
Level Contributor
271 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2008 Fall Color Progression has started!

rbg, beautiful pictures...how did you find these. The colors are so vivid I wonder what kind of camera they used.

And yes I agree the last one is very upsetting.

Oneonta, Alabama
Level Contributor
942 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2008 Fall Color Progression has started!

We've gone twice around Veteran's Day and both times the leaves had already fallen off the trees.

Lisa

Tn
Level Contributor
1,998 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2008 Fall Color Progression has started!

Cards5, I just did a google search for Smokie Mountain pictures November.

Cullowhee, North...
Level Contributor
1,077 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: 2008 Fall Color Progression has started!

One of the benefits of the drought last year was we had color on some trees until December! The oaks last year at Thanksgiving were spectacular deep reds. They are the last to loose their leaves so you had stands of oaks on ridges just deep rich reds alone with a contrast of the green pines and bare trees.

I suspect we will have a long fall should we have a similar weather pattern where it did not get real cold in early October.

So maybe you will have color at Thanksgiving, maybe not, but my guess is some will be around.

Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
861 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 2008 Fall Color Progression has started!

Very beautiful pictures rbg. Thanks for the link. The last picture is very disturbing however. It looks like that guy has the poor bear's mouth tied shut. What a idiot.