We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reality check on cabin rates

Cincinnati, OH
Level Contributor
5 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Reality check on cabin rates

Here is what we want in a cabin when we visit Gatlinburg during the first full week of October:

- Room for 2 people, no kids

- Hot tub

- Quiet, no construction or nearby parties

- A nice, reasonably soft king bed

- Cable or satellite tv

- not more than 10 - 15 minutes from the Parkway

- Not over $700 total for 5 nights (Mon-Sat) including maid fees and taxes.

Everything else is pretty negotiable.

We had rented an excellent cabin from American Patriot Getaways last year. The advertised price of the cabin we stayed at last year (about 7 min. from Dollywood) was $210/night. I scored a 50% email coupon deal from American Patriot and the resultant rate was $100/night. Total for the stay in Oct. 2007 was $645.

What they are now doing is 25% off the published rate. The price that the web site quotes for the stay (when using the discount code) is $970 or so. I called their toll free line and the rep that I spoke with was only able to drop it another $100 or so and I just said "see ya later".

I feel fairly confident that either I will find something elsewhere that is in our price range, or, American Patriot will eventually (near the end of September) send out an email offer for 50% off any stay in October.

What is the vacancy rate like around Gatlinburg right now? My gut tells me that the weak economy means that we should be seeking a deal, not accepting a measly $100 drop on a sky high rate.

Mentioned in this post
Dollywood
Dollywood
13,809 Reviews
Pigeon Forge, TN
Gatlinburg
Gatlinburg
Sevier County, TN
Cincinnati, OH
Level Contributor
5 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Reality check on cabin rates

>> $100 drop on a sky high rate.

(I meant for the whole stay. Obviously a rate discounted $100 per night would be worth writing home about, or something. Dumb board doesn't let me edit my blather.)

Cullowhee, North...
Level Contributor
1,077 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Reality check on cabin rates

We have seen a drop in tourism around 20% for the year. We are seeing more and more last minute deals and last minute requests for the area.

The cabin owners I know are not deep discounting for October. October and July along with the winter holidays are peak rental times. If you were coming in September ( now) you could find many great deals, but less so in October.

I would encourage you to check out VRBO or Best Cabins By Owner and look for deals there if any are offering them. I can tell you October for us over on the NC side is doing very well as we are close to being 100% booked on 4 out of 5 homes we rent. This could be a reason why you are not seeing deep discounts. Also, most of the folks I take inquiries from are inquiring for full weeks for what it is worth.

Another interesting observation is October for us started booking last Spring and at one point we had more days in October booked than July. We are just one point on the map, so maybe others have not experienced this. I guess what I am saying you can not make a huge trend out of what we experience, but perhaps it is an indicator of why folks are not deep discounting.

Keep looking and perhaps you will find the perfect place for your family and the budget.

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
42,418 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Reality check on cabin rates

Don't count on much coming along for discounts in October. As stated above, demand always outweighs supply for lodging at that time of year, even in a poor economy.

Kentucky
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Reality check on cabin rates

Try contacting Great Outdoor Rentals, we have always been pleased with the service, price, and cabins.

Oneonta, Alabama
Level Contributor
942 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Reality check on cabin rates

If you could possibly arrive on a Sunday and check out Friday morning, you could probably get a better rate. Many places offer a cheaper rate for Sun-Friday and then are able to rent the weekend at a higher rate due to more demand.

Also, if you can arrive on Sunday, you could wait until closer to the date to reserve because the weekdays don't fill as quickly as the weekends. With a check out on Saturday morning, you might have a hard time finding Friday night available.

Good luck. I don't think you will have any problem finding something in your price range closer to your arrival date. Just keep in mind that if you are paying $140 per night ($700/5) that the rental rate is actually $125 per night and the other $15 is tax.

From talking with other owners, I think many cabin owners are seeing an increase in inquiries for the fall after a slower than normal summer.

Lisa

Tennessee
Level Contributor
884 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Reality check on cabin rates

With gas prices hovering around $5 a gallon around here now and the fact that Hurricane Ike is slamming the Galveston and Houston area as I write this, I think gas prices will continue to be high for the next few weeks. With that in mind I think cancellations will be up more so than normal due to the high gas prices here and across the southeast. If it were me I would hold out for a better deal, I think come October 1 you will see many specials in the area.

Mentioned in this post
Galveston
Galveston
Galveston Island, TX
Houston
Houston
Texas Gulf Coast, TX
McComb, Mississippi
Level Contributor
9 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Reality check on cabin rates

Don,

Check out www.theolecreekcabin.com

No hot tub, but otherwise is may suit you.

Pekin, IL
Level Contributor
257 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Reality check on cabin rates

My suggestion would be Mountain Rentals of Gatlinburg. Just give them a call and tell them what you are looking for, they will hook you up with the perfect cabin. You can also look at their cabins on their website. They currently offer things like 4 nights for the price of 3, 7 nights for the price of 6, etc...and they are a good company to rent from. Staff is excellent and will answer any questions you have. I would recommend Honeymooners Calico Cabin or Sweethearts Retreat for comfy, cozy cabins with alot of privacy. Almost all of their cabins have hot tubs and come pretty well stocked with anything you would need. Most have washers and dryers as well which means you can pack lighter and throw in a load of laundry while you gaze at the beautiful views from the hot tub.

Enjoy your trip!!

Jen

Mentioned in this post
Gatlinburg
Gatlinburg
Sevier County, TN
Bradenton, Florida
Level Contributor
93 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Reality check on cabin rates

I would highly recommend Majesticmountainvacations.com. We started using them this year and have been very pleased with their cabins and their service. I've noticed many last minute specials. Good luck!

chicago
11 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Reality check on cabin rates

Try http://heritagerentals.com/cupids/index.htlm

We stayed here in June. Good roads, parking. Not on top of a mountain, but nice area. 10/15minutes to Gatlinburg. We drove to Village Hall trolley terminal parking lot, parked the car and took the Blue 50cent trolley to Gatlinburg.