We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving Times

Which Gatlinburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
1,698 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Driving Times

Has anyone ever compared their actual driving times vs. map information from MS Streets & Trips, Google Maps, Yahoo Maps, MapQuest, etc.?

For example, MS Streets & Trips says that it's about 13.1 miles and 24 minutes from the Sugarlands Visitor Center to Newfound Gap. I've traveled this many, many times, but never timed myself. Is this realistic doing the speed limit all the way, no bear jams, etc.?

I'm trying to plan my trip next month and hope that these times are fairly accurate. I don't want to over estimate and wind up at an event an hour or more before it starts, or be late to the event.

Thanks!

Bob

Tn
Level Contributor
1,998 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving Times

They are pretty close. (unless I am driving, and stopping for pictures)My son showed me in may that it can be done! They are repaving New Found Gap Road right now tho so that might add about 10 minuets.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
1,530 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving Times

I agree that they are pretty accurate, but I trust Google moreso than MapQuest. MQ has offered me some strange routes in the past.

I always allow plenty of time. Don't mind just killing time when I have a great view or a nice stream to enjoy. Doing my best to not have a rigid schedule these days, too much like work you know :-)

North Carolina
Level Contributor
296 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving Times

Normally for us the driving times on the maps are longer than usual. We arrive ahead of time compared to the times on the maps. I think they use 55 speed limit on highways and 35 on business roads. Come on who drives 55?!?! :-)

So yeah fairly accurate I think.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
1,698 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving Times

Thanks for the info, everyone. I'm terrible about guesstimating travel times, so I'm glad to see that the trip times are fairly accurate. I always try to show up a little early to an event, but I don't want to show up two hours early, when I could have taken my time, taken more pictures, stopped at a mill, etc.

I'm also in the process of putting places in my GPS, so it will be interesting to see what it says, versus Streets & Trips and Google.

Thanks again!

Bob

5. Re: Driving Times

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2009, 08:18